Sony AX53 users - beware of updating firmware to 1.01!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 4th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony AX53 users - beware of updating firmware to 1.01!!

I mentioned this before elsewhere but it maybe reach more attention in a new thread.

After some testing with different FDR-AX53 camcorders Iīm sure now - camcorders with firmware 1.01 need more than 7 turns of the manual ring to focus from the nearest setting (0.8m) to infinity when in manual focus and in full tele!! Manual focus is hardly usable any more!!
Also in shorter focal lenghts the problem is present, manual focus becomes very indirect.

With firmware 1.00 you only need about 1.2 turns in tele what is much more direct, faster and as same as accurate since peaking doesnīt show you any benefit with the "slower" method of FW1.01.

I checked this with several camcorders now and all show the same behaviour! Thereīs also no way yet to go back to FW1.00 once FW1.01 is installed. If you like to work manual the cam is nearly "bricked".

Sony also doesnīt mention this "feature" in the update description. Only AF "improvements" that I didnīt found yet are mentioned.

If your cam is also "affected" and you donīt like it please contact the Sony support that they see there is a problem - the more the better I think.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony AX53 users - beware of updating firmware to 1.01!!

Sounds like trying to fly acrobatics in a plane using only the trim controls! :-O

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You want me to explain you how that works ;-)?!?!
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Trustee

how to trim an aircraft and hold the control yoke :-)
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds