Sony Z90 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 25th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Z90 Questions

Questions to those who already own the camera:

Is the use of the joy stick (menu button) userfriendlier than with the X70?

How good is the image stabilizer "lens shift" compared to the X70 stabilizer or better: compared to the balanced optical (BOSS) system of the X30?
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 04:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony Z90 Questions

BOSS in the AX33/AX53? I would guess the joystick is the exact same part and operates exactly the same as the X70. Same for the SteadyShot as the lens is identical.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Go Cycle

The AX 53 has an excellent BOSS system. I don't even need to use my Glidecam. Not so with my AX-700 and X70. No joystick with the 53...touch screen menu adjustments.
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if a np-fv70 will work on the Z90 or do i have to get the np-fv70a version like what came with the camera?
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

From the manual, "Your camcorder operates only with an "InfoLITHIUM" V series battery pack of a large capacity, such as the NP-FV70A."

Elsewhere in the manual it states that you cannot use the NP-FV50. So, from that, I'd guess you can use the NP-FV70, NP-FV100, NP-FV100A, in addition to the supplied battery.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #6
Trustee

My NPFV70 X70 batteries, as well as aftermarket batteries, all work on my Z90. The NPFV70A batteries are a bit bigger, but lighter than the older NPFV70's.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Could somebody tell me the part number off the label on the bottom of the camera? I want to buy one locally here in Japan, but the showroom store may not have one on display and I need to know if the part number is different for cameras sold in Japan, which would likely indicate there is no English menu in it. Once the package is opened, however slightly, return is not possible.

Thanks,
Mark
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Mark, the number on the bottom of my camera simply says (in two different places) PXW-Z90V. And there are seven language choices in the menus, so I'd be really surprised to hear that there was a version that didn't speak English. But come back and let us know if you find that to be the case.
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Mark,
The model number on the label on the box may be helpful?

PXW-Z90V//C
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Yes, mine says that too in the tiny print on the box label. But the big printing on the box itself says "PXW-Z90 series". That does seem to imply there might be more than one version. I just sent an email to the Z90 product manager at Sony to see if he can clear things up.
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Okay guys, that's actually helpful to know the box markings. That way, if my box doesn't match up, I don't need to open it. I want the camera in time for an event on the 22nd. I see model number PXW-Z90, and other places it's PXW-Z90V. Looking at the manual, it looks like you can choose 50i or 60i, making it a global camera. That's a good indicator there's only one version. I'll make the trip to System 5 Pro Video next week and see how that goes. Hopefully Doug's contact will provide an answer for added peace of mind. Thanks for the replies.

The attachment shows the reason for this quandary. Item is in stock, but kept at a warehouse, so I guess I have to order one, then come back in and pick it up a couple days later, or have it delivered. If it's wrong, I've already paid for it and return policies here are not too lenient. I have a $6,000 printer that was not what I wanted. Popped the staples to have a quick look inside the box and that action meant I could not return it.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Z90 Questions-system-5-web-page.png  
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

On the title page of the manual, there is reference to two models: PXW-Z90V/Z90T. Also, here are the languages supported by my U.S.-purchased model:
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Z90 Questions-img_1442.jpg  
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Okay, so here's some information I have been given by the Z90 product manager at Sony:

RE: Buying a Z90 in Japan . . .
The Japanese version of PXW-Z90 does have English menu, but Japanese and English only.
The printed manual will be Japanese, but it will contain a PDF in English, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

RE: Product naming . . .
PXW-Z90 is the official product name, but there are two versions . . .
PXW-Z90V which has both 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (all Z90s in the US are Z90”V”s)
PXW-Z90T which only has 2.4GHz Wi-Fi because some countries don’t allow 5GHz signals to be emitted
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Doug. I went to the System 5 Pro Video shop and told them I wanted the Z90. They said they're out of stock, takes 2-3 weeks to get another one in. Their web-site said "in stock" just 2 hours earlier, and now that I'm back home, it stills says "in stock". I asked which version they sell and they were not aware of two versions. They brought out the box for the store display Z90 and I found that label Bill mentioned, "PXW-Z90V//C". I can't wait 2-3 weeks, so I'm going to give Adorama a try. Haven't ordered anything from them in ten years.
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Got my camera yesterday! Drifting event on the 22nd got cancelled due to snow forecast, but now I'm ready to go for the next one.

Noticed the focus ring has deeper cut grooves. Can't make file format, recording mode changes by touching the screen anymore.

I'm curious if the image stabilizer is improved from the AX100. I'll do some testing with the Z90, AX100, AX53 just to see how it stacks up.

Feels solid in my hand. They got the magnify button put where it should have been.
First impression is that I expect this to get plenty of use, just like my AX100 did.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds