PXW-Z90 best setting in low light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 27th, 2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Tourist

PXW-Z90 best setting in low light?

I have to film a Gospel concert and there is not much light what is the best setting in low light ?
Thank you for your help
Pierre Vidailhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: PXW-Z90 best setting in low light?

Probably the biggest thing you could do is bite the bullet, break the 180 degree rule and drop down to a 1/30 shutter. None of the picture profiles will actually bring in more "light" but slowing your shutter down to 1/30 actually does accomplish this.

Try to shoot as wide as you can because zooming in will close your aperture. So,...the closer you can position yourself to the action, the less you will need to zoom and the faster your lens will be.

Not too much more you can do than that. The rest is just "gain" in different forms.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Use LOW LUX mode. This is only available if the camera is in Auto Mode and Gain Limit is set to off.

You also may set BLACK GAMMA (black stretch) for low light (range: low). The recommended setting is LOW +7, which brings up the black stretch in the darker areas. With the 10 bit 4:2:2 codec, you can then push the blacks down in post without problems.
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Probably the biggest thing you could do is bite the bullet, break the 180 degree rule and drop down to a 1/30 shutter. None of the picture profiles will actually bring in more "light" but slowing your shutter down to 1/30 actually does accomplish this.

Try to shoot as wide as you can because zooming in will close your aperture. So,...the closer you can position yourself to the action, the less you will need to zoom and the faster your lens will be.

Not too much more you can do than that. The rest is just "gain" in different forms.

CT
thanks for your help
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Achini View Post
Use LOW LUX mode. This is only available if the camera is in Auto Mode and Gain Limit is set to off.

You also may set BLACK GAMMA (black stretch) for low light (range: low). The recommended setting is LOW +7, which brings up the black stretch in the darker areas. With the 10 bit 4:2:2 codec, you can then push the blacks down in post without problems.
thanks for your help
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Trustee

I do a lot of low light high gain shooting...I find that adding any black gamma just ads a lot of noise as gain increases. I adjusted my DETAIL settings to Type 1 and crispening to +1 to knock down some of the noise "enhancement" you get as the gain increases. In NLE, I sometimes will pull my midtones (gamma) downward until the contrast looks pleasing, and as you pull down midtones you also reduce noise a bit and get back some contrast you lose as gain increases.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds