Introduction to the Z90, NX80, and AX700 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 14th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #91
Trustee

Re: Introduction to the Z90, NX80, and AX700

John, for fast past moving subjects, I would guess that 50Mbps of pure 4:2:0 8 bit goodness would allow less compression artifacts over the 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps Z90...not sure about high speed framerates though.

Mark, for my HLG testing, tried 4K as well as HD 10 bit 4:2:2. I have an S8 phone, so maybe I will throw a file at it for kicks. When I set FCPX to export out the HLG file in REC709, they look " similar" to the REC709 recordings, just a lot more shadow noise...more noise in general, less contrast...using the FCPX presets at least.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
I’m currently going through withdrawal. Last week I sold the AX100 (*sniff*)
I'm thinking of selling mine too. What did it fetch if you don't mind the question
thanks
Bruce
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:12 PM   #93
Trustee

Paul - thanks for the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
John, for fast past moving subjects, I would guess that 50Mbps of pure 4:2:0 8 bit goodness would allow less compression artifacts over the 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps Z90...not sure about high speed framerates though.
Sure wish I could remember where I read about the difference, though. The other concern is about highlights and darks, especially in August, although with global warming now we're seeing fewer grey skies.

Edit: Paul - glad to see you started a new thread "Working with HLG footage" so, hopefully, the FCPX workflow is all sorted out if and when I get there.

Bruce - It was let go for $850 on Craigs List in the afternoon and shortly after had a buyer at the listed price and picked it up the next morning. There was one other AX100 listed for $1,050 so that may have helped. Will continue to use the AX53 a B-cam.
Edit: Currently the AX53 has got a temporary promotion to A-cam status.

Last edited by John Nantz; March 14th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:35 PM   #94
Trustee

After three months of being without an A-cam has been very difficult. Three months of going back and forth about the next cam to get, weighing options, tradeoffs, costs, needs, wants, … and finally couldn’t take it any longer. Had to get something!

The new cam in the quiver, replacing the AX100, is now the AX700. It has a lot of various useful, albeit in some cases minor, upgrades over the AX100. The cumulative effect is there are more control options via a larger menu. One nice item in the box was the Large Eyecup. Never realized how nice this would be but when outdoors in the sunlight this item is absolutely super.

The viewfinder and LCD screens are really sharp. Compared to the AX100 this cam has a lot more heft so won’t be as much of a “handicam”. Audio inputs with XLR cables will be via the JuicedLink pre.

Battery: the NP-FV70A is rated at 1900 mAh vs 1960mAh of the NP-FV70 that is standard with the AX100. What is weird is, even though the 70A has fewer mAh, it is about 6mm taller. Go figure. Wonder what they have inside.

Haven’t had time to really shoot anything with it yet, well, maybe except for maybe a couple minutes worth after getting the battery charged up. Looking forward to doing a shoot with the AX53 as the B-roll cam.
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:58 PM   #95
Trustee

Anton Bauer batteries have been growing in size but with no gain in wattage. The explanation from them is the larger cases allow better heat dissipation during charges, keeping the cells healthier and allowing longer battery life. But maybe Sony just sourced new slightly different cells from Sanyo or something...more likely

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #96
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Anton Bauer batteries have been growing in size but with no gain in wattage. The explanation from them is the larger cases allow better heat dissipation during charges, keeping the cells healthier and allowing longer battery life. But maybe Sony just sourced new slightly different cells from Sanyo or something...more likely
Paul
Spacing them out just a little bit makes a lot of sense because the cases do get warm with usage, particularly some usage, even charging, so the heat must have a negative effect on the chemistry and dielectric, and therefor battery life.

The width of the typical battery case is fixed by the cam but the height typically is not so they can "grow" that direction. I was kinda wondering if there was some new circuit board inside to help process battery information but I don't have any old one to take apart to find out. Of course, one would need a NP-FV70 and a 70A version to compare.

As for telling counterfeit apart from the OEM ones, Sony Support told me that only the Sony Repair Center can tell them apart via the green holographic insert on the end of the battery. There is also a manufacturing date written in the lower right corner on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Introduction to the Z90, NX80, and AX700-img_6591.jpg  
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:42 PM   #97
Major Player

I'd like to thank Doug for the Z90, NX80, AX700 Master Class. I'm upgrading my AX100 to a NX80, and this class made the process painless. I'd recommend this for anyone making that transition.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:04 AM   #98
Regular Crew

I agree. Doug's Master Class is a MUST.
Roland
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:04 AM   #99
Regular Crew

I recently rewatched the chapter on autofocus. The discussion on AF SUBJ. TRACK SET and AF DRIVE SPEED inspired me to play around and really learn when to tweak these. Out of the box, the Z90 has excellent AF with the default values. But when you know before shooting what kind of subject/camera motion you will encounter, AF becomes amazing - far better than I could ever do with manual focus.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #100
Vortex Media

Guys, thanks for the nice comments. It means more to me than you'd believe to know that my training videos really do make a difference in helping others get better usage of their cameras. Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2018, 01:05 AM   #101
Trustee

Doug, any news on a future Z190/Z280 training video? I have to believe Sony will get them to you shortly. If so, any hints on your take on these two cameras?

I have the Z190 on my radar but Im just not sure what to expect on performance from a three tiny 1/3inch sensor optical block. My "gut" tells me a possible dim 0db rating with high and massive amounts of noise reduction.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; July 25th, 2018 at 08:52 AM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:52 AM   #102
Vortex Media

Hi Cliff, I'll be working on a training video series that will cover both cameras. But other than that, I can't really say much about the cameras other than I loved what I saw at NAB. Thanks for asking.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 06:10 PM   #103
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
I'd like to thank Doug for the Z90, NX80, AX700 Master Class. I'm upgrading my AX100 to a NX80, and this class made the process painless. I'd recommend this for anyone making that transition.
Yes, indeed, I found it very helpful for making the transition. And a real time saver overall. Thanks, Doug!
David Tayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:30 AM   #104
Vortex Media

Thanks David, that is very nice of you to say. I'm glad I could help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds