Sony Z90 Clear Image Zoom reach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 29th, 2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony Z90 Clear Image Zoom reach

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the reach when the Clear Image Zoom is enabled on the Z90?

Here's the info on the lens with the 35 conversion @ 348mm, however this is not for Clear image zoom.
I'm after the info in 35mm terms if someone knows this.

4K: 18x/ HD: 24x
f = 9.3-111.6 mm, f = 3/8-4 1/2 in.
f = 29.0-348.0 mm, f = 1 3/16-13 3/4 in. (16:9)*1
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Sony Z90 Clear Image Zoom reach

In terms of cameras that have Super35mm sensors (which many of us can identify with) such as the FS5, FS7, the zoom range is approximately equivalent to a 19mm to 228mm lens. If you want to use Clear Image Zoom then multiply those numbers by 2.0 for HD and 1.5 for 4K. That should give you a pretty good indication of the reach when compared to lenses that are used on Super35mm cameras.

Now that you know the S35 equivalents it should be easy enough to extrapolate the equivalent FF focal lengths if those are the numbers you are really looking for.
Old March 1st, 2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Doug,
So am I correct in assuming that using clear image on the Z90 gives me a reach of 456mm in 35mm terms.

These numbers they supply here are confusing and I assume these must be for when digital extender is used.
4K: 18x/ HD: 24x

So now I'm wondering when they mention these figures 12x, 18x, 24x must relate to these figures.

Base lens figure 9.3

12x 111.6 Normal Zoom
301.3mm

18x 167.4 Clear Image Zoom
451.9mm

24x 223.2 Digital Extender
602.6mm

Reason I'm curious is, I'm wonder if the Z90 and Clear Image is up to the task of some surfing vids lens wise.
Old March 1st, 2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Vortex Media

I'm not going to crunch the numbers for FF, I'm just passing along what I already figured out a couple of years ago for Super35 when I did my master class for the Z90.

In my opinion, I think you are barking up the wrong tree to even be considering clear image zoom regardless of what you figure out the focal length equivalent to be. It is a consumer-oriented interpolation that can be done just as effectively by zooming normal footage on your timeline. Not that I'm suggesting you do that either!! :-)

If you don't need 4K then shoot HD and use digital extender, which is a cropped mode. If you need 4K and a long lens, find a different camera, such as the Z190. The Z190 would be ideal for what you are looking to do outdoors with surfing.
Old March 1st, 2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Doug,
This would be in HD 50p, yeah I think the Z90 might be out of it's range for the task.

Cheers
Old March 1st, 2020, 02:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Doug speaking of the digital extender. Does it kick in as soon as you start zooming giving a smooth zoom all the way through. I think I have just answered my own question here. I should leave it switched off unless I need it.
Old March 1st, 2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Trustee

You have to select this via the menu and you can assign this to a button, once it's turn on you're in Digital Extender mode which crops in, I'm doing tests now vs shooting 4K and crop in post, back later with my results.
Old March 1st, 2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Trustee

Yeah my very quick test on Digital Extender results in a softer image vs shooting 4k and cropping in.
I think if you need HD 50P Digital Extender would be handy for short clips.
Old March 1st, 2020, 05:13 PM   #9
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Doug speaking of the digital extender. Does it kick in as soon as you start zooming giving a smooth zoom all the way through. I think I have just answered my own question here. I should leave it switched off unless I need it.
Digital extender is either on or off, so it affects the field of view 100% of the time.

On the other hand, Clear Image Zoom only kicks in when you reach the end of the optical zoom and then it starts to do its work. Of the two, I prefer Digital Extender but it's not ideal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds