What Type XLR PXW-X70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 30th, 2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What Type XLR PXW-X70

I have a PXW-X70 in which I never used the audio XLR inputs. I am aware that these have issues with the latch for the XLR's due to a factory defect. I happened to connect one which was extremely difficult to remove. I'd like to add, I'll be connecting the cable to a mixer. I have a couple questions;
1) Has anyone been able to fix the latch issue? I did see someone cut out the latch eye on the XLR.
2) I have balanced XLR cables & Mic cables. The XLR mic cables "do not" have the latch eyes therefore, the defected latch wouldn't be an issue.
a) Will mic cables work?
b) Does it matter if the cables are balanced or unbalanced?
c) What is the longest run I can make without loosing signal?
I would sincerely appreciate your help and input. Thank you. Ray

Last edited by Ray Paula; March 30th, 2020 at 08:09 AM.
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What Type XLR PXW-X70

1) I’d recommend getting the camera repaired. The latch system found in all xlr cables is an important mechanism designed to make secure connections.
2) Unbalanced cables used for mics and instruments are designed for short runs.

I can gather from your questions you want to get audio from a mic on stage to your camera that is far away in the back. Often such a mic will run to a mixer up front that runs to the pa system. If this mixer has a balance out available then this is where you would run an xlr cable back to your camera. In large venues, making such a long run isn’t feasible. Wireless transmission of the audio is often used. In addition an audio recorder is another option but there sync and drift issues associated with this method.

If you’ve made up your mind about running cable, 200ft is your max but it needs to be sent as a balanced line level signal. If this is directly from the mic you’ll need a di box.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; March 30th, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Pete,
I'll be running the cable to a mixer which could be up to 40-50ft. The cordles headset mic used is tied into the same mixer. Video will be used for pre-recording church messages to be posted on YouTube after video editing within FCPX. It appears that I could either use 3.5mm to an RCA Y to mixer or a balanced XLR (X70) to balanced XLR or 1/4" to mixer. For the longer runs, I believe the XLR method would be best. My biggest concern is signal noise/loss for these longer runs. Please correct me if I'm wrong along with any other suggestions. I sincerely appreciate your help and time help. Thans again, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As long as it is line level 50ft isn't terribly long and you should be fine. Btw, even though it's not necessary, I recommend looking up articles and/or videos on balanced outputs, xlr cables, line/mic level... When you have a better understanding of what's going on, things will become less of a mystery and you can make better informed decisions.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Pete, appreciate all your help & time. Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds