DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   Cameras like a7s used in ENG style? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/526142-cameras-like-a7s-used-eng-style.html)

Peter Rush September 25th, 2015 02:01 PM

Re: Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1899139)
Here is some footage I just shot, handheld, just the camera and lens, LED used at the end. This is with the 28-135, mostly shot in autofocus. Not much ENG specific footage being posted, so thought I would put some in this post.

The EVF is soo much crisper and has more dynamic range than the LCD, I will be adding that new ENG eyecup to this sucker. How do I keep nose prints (and snot!) off of the LCD when using the EVF? :)

https://youtu.be/ODOVxqTdvpI

Good luck trying to find a better eyecup - sony don't make one and i'm still looking - you are right they evf is way way better than the lcd, especially judging focus - even with a swivi loupe!

Paul Anderegg September 25th, 2015 10:07 PM

The A7s LCD is too black, causes me to overexpose. See below for the new Hoodman eyecup, WITH eye sensor function retained. :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165086-REG/hoodman_heyes_hoodeye_for_sony_a7_a7r_a7s_a711.html

Peter Rush September 26th, 2015 06:07 AM

Aaah now that's what I've been looking for all this time - not out yet though?

Pete

Steve Bleasdale September 26th, 2015 11:03 AM

giz a shout pete when in stock somewhere got the a7sii on order wex

Paul Anderegg September 29th, 2015 03:03 AM

Here is another low light ENG scene. The very end is a gain up to maximum ISO. I am having a very hard time focusing with the EVF, might be the loss of resolution from the extensive need for digital zoom with only a 135mm lens.

Simon Denny September 29th, 2015 05:37 PM

Are you in crop mode or FF in this video Paul.

Paul Anderegg September 29th, 2015 06:50 PM

That is all in full frame.........thinking about experimenting with crop mode at high ISO and digital zoom, just to see how much of an increase in noise and grain structure there is. I am finding that the footage looks better the HIGHER I gain up.......so much dynamic range in this puppy.

Paul

Simon Denny September 30th, 2015 01:04 AM

Crop mode really gives me the reach when I need it and this was a big factor in going the A7s and 135mm lens for me.

Paul Anderegg September 30th, 2015 01:23 AM

I just did some crop mode testing a few ago. The crop mode has a better "digital zoom" than the full frame mode digital zoom zoomed to the same framing focal length. It seems like all Sony cameras, it digital zooms in on the record resolution setting, and NOT the actual sensor pixels. My PXW-X70 performs digital zoom MUCH MUCH better in 4K mode than in 720 or 1080. Your no better off using digital (not ClearImage) zoom than simply cropping in post with a Sony. Wish I could quick toggle APC-C mode.......but really, in ENG, do you really need to be at 28mm instantly when you were just reaching for maximum zoom? Maybe if you were attacked by a Cheetah. :)

I am going to maybe pick up a SELP18200 in the $500-600 range to play with when I find one on eBay.

Paul

Simon Denny September 30th, 2015 02:31 AM

The 18-200 is really quite good, I have this and the image is great although the 135mm is sharper but would anyone really notice, I doubt it.
I just want to add that the 28-135mm covers the same length as the 18-200mm.

Paul Anderegg October 9th, 2015 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just did my first A7s broadcast live shot with a reporter last night. Hooked up my little Sennheiser AVX, so convenient, and dimmed down my large LED to just about nothingness.......I was at something like 20000 ISO? The reporter said that she needed more light, she was used to being hit with illumination necessary for a crappy JVC ProHD camera. One issue I ran into was trying to white balance my reporter.......have to go into still photo mode, really?

Anyway, when I figure out how to edit a Windows .wtc (media center) file in FCPX, I will post the live shot, but for now, what it looked like below.

Paul Anderegg October 9th, 2015 09:47 AM

Thank you Handbrake! Here it is.

Young Lee October 11th, 2015 06:15 PM

Nice job. So it can be used as a ENG camera with no problem.

I like my Sony (A5100) because for a small, entry-level E-mount camera, it can record great video like a professional camera that costs thousands of dollars. I used to be a Panasonic/Canon guy but now, I prefer Sony cameras.

Simon Denny October 11th, 2015 11:39 PM

Looks great Paul. Is that REC709?

Cheers, Simon

Paul Anderegg October 12th, 2015 12:40 AM

PP5 Cine 1, with a little in camera saturation bump and -2 on the master black. The REC709 PP4 looks a bit too cartoonish to me, too colorful.

Paul