Cameras like a7s used in ENG style? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

Hello,

I've been using Sony AX2000 camcorder and Canon 600d for years.

The AX2000 is a semi-professional camcorder and it's an awesome all around camera. I've been using this camera for interviews, live events and similar, because it has proper audio inputs (xlrs), great auto-focus and focal range and basically everything you need out of the box to shoot basically anything.

Because I also make music videos, I wanted something that can shoot beautiful film like videos, because AX2000 isn't great for this considering the sensor size, so I bought a 600d and a set of samyang/rokinon primes (16mm f2, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.4).

The problem is that my AX2000 is 4 years old, and my 600d is 2 years old. The motor in AX2000 lens died and the replacement cost me 400 euros!! The camera works normally now but you know that with today's electronics when they start breaking down they don't stop, it's just a matter of time when something else breaks.

So I need a replacement for the sony ax2000, but the cheapest camera that has all these capabilities is Sony HXR-NX3 which costs 3000 euros... Now that is a lot of money to pay for something that is just a replacement and doesn't provide anything new and awesome..

So I figured out, since my 600d is also already heavily used, why not buy some new amazing camera body instead of a camcorder.

Can the a7s or some other new dslr really be adapted to be used, if needed, as an ENG style camera or as a camcorder??

I MUST have some add on or device with pro audio recording capabilities (recorded on camera, not separately) with xlr inputs,
and I need a zoom lens with decent focal range that has good stabilization and, paired with a camera, is able to provide at least usable auto-focus capabilities. Also I would like to be able to change aperture smoothly while shooting.

Thanks,
Mladen
Mladen Ilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

the A7S would not give you XLR in any way.... You'll Always need an external recorder to properly reocrd audio.

What about the Sony PXW-X70?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been looking a lot about that camera and wasn't too impressed. The f 2.8 maximum aperture is not that great, plus it has one ring. Here where I am it costs 2500 euro. The NX3 provides a lot more for additional 500 euro.

About adapting dslrs, I know I need an external recorder and a zoom lens that is good for video, but which ones?
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Forget about dslr like camera's if you want eng like functionality, a camera like a c100 might come close but doesn't have a powered variable speed zoom lens with all iris, zoom and focus ring on a lens where they belong. They all will need some kind of extra rig to make them easy to shoot stable and continuously while handholding. Also if you need good autofocus then a regular camcorder is still the best option.

It looks to me you really want a videocamera which can provide you with the shallow dof of a full frame camera and the low light sensitivity of a a7s and that doesn't exist.

There is always some kind of trade of, which is why you probably always will end up having 2 camera's, a videocamera and a dslr depending on the type of work you do.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Major Player

You can add XLR inputs by using either the XLR-K1M or the XLR-K2M audio blocks that plug into the Multi-Interfact shoe.

You'd still need to rig it up somewhat to make it usable in ENG settings.

An EA50, FS100 or maybe the new FS7 would probably be a better choice unless you main goal is extreme low light shooting.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I know I will need a rig.
I've been researching and there are plenty of solutions for audio
from juicedLink | Homepage Title and Audio Adapters & Recording Equipment for Camcorders | Beachtek

As for the lens, Sony G lenses are praised all around. For example, the E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Power Zoom Lens looks really good in this video
It's not very expensive, and it's for aps-c which is also OK because I wouldn't use full frame for run & gun anyway, besides I have full frame primes.

The problem is, all of this, I don't have access to rent and try, I can only buy from abroad and hope for the best. That is the reason I need feedback from anyone who has used these audio devices and lenses.
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #7
Major Player

This is an A7S setup I use for R+G. Parts include:

Sennheiser Shotgun
Movcam Cage with rail risers
Jag35 rails
Jag35 grip
jag35 railblock (for SmallHD)
Short rail (mounting the grip and SmallHD)
JuicedLink Riggy micro RM202 (should have bought the RM222)
Chinese no-name adjustable lens support
SmallHD DP4
In pictures: LEA4 with Tamron SP f/2.8 24-70

Mounted on slider:
http://www.drivingsports.com/wp-cont...S-Edelkone.jpg

Packed in case, ready to shoot:
http://www.drivingsports.com/wp-cont...2/A7S-Case.jpg
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ryan!
Old December 25th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Trustee

What about a Sony FS100? Dirt cheap now, and everything you're looking for.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Trustee

I am interested in acquiring an A7s for doing broadcast on air live shots for news. I currently use my personal Sony PXW-X70 with a wide adapter for this task, leaving my station issued JVC HM790 garbage camera in the trunk. My live shots consist of wearing a TVU backpack, and walking through the scene while talking my report. The X70 is nice for this application, much better than the HM790, but it has hard to adjust button controls, which makes for sloppy camera work while trying to manipulate them, and low light performance at night.

Almost all of my live stuff is shot wide angle, so there seems to be a few usable lenses. Anyone with an A7s that can verify hw easy it would be to adjust iris and gain while shooting? that would be my primary concern, need for XLR and such is very minimal, although I would need an HDMI to SDI converter to feed the TVU.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
the A7S would not give you XLR in any way.... You'll Always need an external recorder to properly reocrd audio.

What about the Sony PXW-X70?
Beechtek make XLR adapters for DSLR cameras - I know many 5D fans use them

DXA-SLR PURE - beachtek

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I am interested in acquiring an A7s for doing broadcast on air live shots for news. I currently use my personal Sony PXW-X70 with a wide adapter for this task, leaving my station issued JVC HM790 garbage camera in the trunk. My live shots consist of wearing a TVU backpack, and walking through the scene while talking my report. The X70 is nice for this application, much better than the HM790, but it has hard to adjust button controls, which makes for sloppy camera work while trying to manipulate them, and low light performance at night.

Almost all of my live stuff is shot wide angle, so there seems to be a few usable lenses. Anyone with an A7s that can verify hw easy it would be to adjust iris and gain while shooting? that would be my primary concern, need for XLR and such is very minimal, although I would need an HDMI to SDI converter to feed the TVU.

Paul
Here's my rig Paul - I always keep the rig pressed into my shoulder. Me left hand is on the lens while my right hand is on the grip - my thumb adjusts the ISO and my trigger finger can easily adjust the iris. I come from a traditional video camera background so getting used to DSLR film has (and still is) tough but I'm getting there

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-jg3a4282.jpg  
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Peter, can you adjust the iso by turning the dial on the back of the camera?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Yes Noa - It's the large thumbwheel on the back - the other 2 thumbwheels are for shutter speed and iris

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?-za7back-l.jpg  
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Same as on my rx10 then, wish all dslr makers would follow this design.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR