Cameras like a7s used in ENG style? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:14 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

Hi.
Following this thread I have to say I am quite happy with my Sony A7s for ENG shooting. It is what it is. A stills camera but with video/ film in mind. I am using a picture profile from AbelCine, and never had any issues with it. The 18-200 servo zoom lens SELP18-200 works a treat as it is powered by the camera and gives me the range I need. I did try the 28-135 lens but did not like it much. Heavy and sluggish.

With the ISO on this camera, I am getting shots I never thought imagineable. I used to own a JVC GY-HM750 with a Fujinon 18X lens, and while that was a great camera it was very heavy to lug around.

I am a documentary filmmaker and with my Canon C300 next to the A7s I have a fantastic package to work with. And at 50 mbps, what more could I ask for? I sold my Sony F3 and Sony FS700 and went with this instead. I just finished a major documentary for the largest broadcaster in Norway, the NRK with the F3, EX1 and A7s. And the A7s was just fantastic.

Below is a test I did for the leading magazine in Scandinavia showcasing the A7s, Selp18200 lens and XLR- module. A total ENG- kit. Pardon my norwegian in the film, but it gives you an overview of what the camera can do. The battery life could be a lot better though, but spare batteries are quiet cheap compared to other video/ film cameras.

SRS Media : Test av Sony A7s
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:18 AM   #77
Trustee

Looks great Svein,

I also use the same lens along with the 28-135mm Sony. Hey what picture profile did you use in the video link you provided.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:41 AM   #78
Major Player

Hi Simon and thank you.

Glad you liked it.

I am using a picture profile from Abel Cine and I have never looked back:

JR45Cine is a match to our original custom look for the VariCam and is designed to give you pleasing colors and good dynamic range. We used Cine 1 gamma for a nice amount of range, but this profile is not so flat that you need a lot of post correction. In a bright, high contrast scene, you may choose to go with S-Log2 for more range in the highlights. Here are the settings:

Gamma: Cine 1
Color Mode: Still
Saturation: -2
Color Depth: R: +2 , C: -4

Sony a7S Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Hi.
Following this thread I have to say I am quite happy with my Sony A7s for ENG shooting. It is what it is. A stills camera but with video/ film in mind. I am using a picture profile from AbelCine, and never had any issues with it. The 18-200 servo zoom lens SELP18-200 works a treat as it is powered by the camera and gives me the range I need. I did try the 28-135 lens but did not like it much. Heavy and sluggish.
The 28-135 Cine is the only Sony Lens I even like with my A7s.

Why would anyone shoot with the DX 18-200?
It does not even have a fixed aperture.
It is lighter but certainly not faster.
And it powered by the Camera, that wimpy battery may last 15 minutes.

I do shoot from a TriPod in poor/low light only so maybe that make the difference for me.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM   #80
Trustee

Thanks Svein.

Yes the 28-135mm is heavy and when I have a cage, audio on this rig the whole setup is heavy.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Martin View Post
The 28-135 Cine is the only Sony Lens I even like with my A7s.

Why would anyone shoot with the DX 18-200?
It does not even have a fixed aperture.
It is lighter but certainly not faster.
And it powered by the Camera, that wimpy battery may last 15 minutes.

I do shoot from a TriPod in poor/low light only so maybe that make the difference for me.
I am quite happy with the 18-200 lens. Shot an interview with it today and the battery lasted 45 mins or so. Not a fantastic battery life, but sufficient enough. And that was using the screen and optional XLR- module as well. Very static though with a few manual zooms to change focal lengths as cut aways. For the size and ease of travelling the A7s is very nice.

Yes, the lens doesn`t have a fast and constant aperture and ramps down a bit, but find me any lens in that range that doesn`t cost an arm and a leg, doesn`t ramp down and not adding weight as well and I`d be happy to buy it. I am a documentarian and travelling light is important to me. My clients don`t complain, even the NRK ( the largest broadcaster in Norway ) accepts it. And it enables me to work fast, getting the shots I need. To me the 28-135 seemed fantastic until I tried it, but everyone has a different style and working method. The A7s is so light sensitive I have no problems with it. What I can say though is that the 18-200 lens used to sit on a Sony FS700 and that camera being not as sensitive caused me problems once because of the ramping down. Nothing we couldn`t work round though.

A far as I know the 28-135 draws power from the camera as well. I have an older manual Angenieux 35-140 T4.4 cine lens but still prefer the 18-200 when travelling. Maybe I have been working so long with it it just feels right.

Last edited by Svein Rune Skilnand; January 27th, 2016 at 02:30 AM.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Thanks Svein.

Yes the 28-135mm is heavy and when I have a cage, audio on this rig the whole setup is heavy.
You`re welcome.

I worked with a Sony FS3 today with a 25 mm Zeiss from Duclos lenses, mounted with a Zacuto baseplate and an Atomos Samurai handheld. 5 minutes in we decided to go with the tripod. I love my A7s. The images from the F3 are still very lovely though. We will be travelling abroad soon, leaving the F3 and taking the A7s instead.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR