Cameras like a7s used in ENG style? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 7th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Cameras like a7s used in ENG style?

Any tips on securely mounting the L plate to your rig?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Any tips on securely mounting the L plate to your rig?
In one of the pictures in this thread, it appeared to be mounted on the shoulder rig.
You may have to drill and tap yours.
The (Amazon $20 Small Rig) unit I have has a threaded mount I use on my TriPod leg. It also has a Velcro strap and slide in L shaped bracket mount included.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Plate-...0_SR320%2C320_

There is also a plate for monitors that might be better to mount on your set up.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Roger Martin; September 7th, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #33
Trustee

That lens looks heavy Simon!

I bought an A7s on eBay last week, and it hasn't even arrived yet and an A7sII has already been announced with byuilt in 4K!

I also got a 24-240 FE Sony lens from B&H..........I have never felt a stiffer zoom and focus mechanism, I will need the 5 axis stabilization (for rotational spin!) just to rotate these things, molasis! Simon, how smooth is that 28-135?????

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #34
Regular Crew

My 28-135 Cine is very smooth but not loose.
The added controls really help my Video work.
And I like being able to manually focus simply by pulling the focus ring back.

I would send your lens back and upgrade.
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #35
Trustee

Well, $2700 for the A7s with 10x lens is reasonable to play with the low light capabilities. If I like the sucker, then an A7sII with 28-135 would be the logical next step. The Cine lens with the mark II would run me $5500, so quite a bit more, not worth it unless the low light performance REALLY blows me away!

Paul
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I have already ordered my A7sII $2999

The A7s has so many flaws that I am sure it will be easy to improve on.
The new camera will be worth a lot more or I will send it back for a 30 day no quivel return.

As for the Sensor, that is the only reason I kept it.
I shoot in such poor low light that I have ISO set at 6400
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #37
Trustee

Hi Paul,
The 28-135mm is heavy but with the Movcam rig on this sort of balances out.
This is the best lens I think for run and gun as they call it and produces a great image.
I've tried Canon glass etc... and although it's nice ... I think for my needs the Sony wins hands down for ease of use. Just think Par focal glass at this price����

I just want to add, the A7s and the lens combo is really easy to use and focus. I like the focus controls of the lens and in particular I have the camera setup for one push auto focus with manual lens control also. I can nail focus in an instant.
Also you have the crop mode function on the camera which gets you a lens from 28mm through to 200mm

Paul, the lens is smooth mate just like any typical ENG lens. I would not have purchased this if it behaved like a still lens as most of my work involves pushing in and out on my shoots.
I'll shoot something for you and post here tomorrow.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #38
Trustee

I have already sent B&H and return request for my 24-240, so I can upgrade to the 28-135! Will be pre-ordering the A7sII as well.......got my A7s cheap enough and just wanted to test it out before going balls deep with it. Also bought a Varivon Pro cage with rotating handgrip with strap.......I am afraid to hold something without a strap! Picking up an HDMI to SDI converter so I can do news live shots with it. :)

Paul
Old September 16th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I might suggest the PIX-5 ($1400) but it does not do 1080P120.
This might make no difference to you.
It does have HDMI in and SDI out as does my 7Q+ ($2300).
Old September 16th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #40
Trustee

I have to hook up to a TVUPack for live broadcast, takes HD-SDI only. The little HDMI to SDI converter runs on 5v, so I can shove it in the TVU backpack and power it from one of the USB jacks.....nifty!

Paul
Old September 24th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #41
Trustee

Well, my 28-135 arrived, attached it to my A7s in it's Varavon Pro cage, and slapped on my Son shotgun and Comer 1800 LED.

OMG........I am regretting this already. The attachment between the 28-135 and the A7s E mount is made of something similar to Jello or rubber, and is also so loose that the camera will rotate to the right if you mess with it. The frame of the A7s is also like butter, the cage will rock front to back, the base of the camera flexing severely. I am afraid to put this thing on a tripod and use it, for fear I will be left with the camera in my hands after it snaps off of the lens which is mounted to my tripod. If I actually deploy the rig, it can really only be used in a lock down for each shot situation, as any moving the camera flexes so much the entire image moves. To describe that better, if you lock down the tripod, you can wiggle the camera and although the lens is rock solid stationary, the camera moves so much the sensor is moving in relation to the glass, and it appears as if the entire rig is moving.

Would it work better without the cage which I need for my light and shotgun? Probably, but then you are leaving the "ENG" behind, and it becomes a limited use production toy. Of course, this opinion is for the camera mated with this "ENG" lens, if you can consider 5x an ENG lens. :)

I will see how the new A7sII with better handgrip works without the cage.......this will definitely be an extremely special use rig.

Paul
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Paul,
Indeed the A7sII should be better as it has a new more ridged mag allow body and more sturdy mount.
You should look at your camera. does it have an s or j (jello)?

I have and A7s with 28-135 lens. The lens foot is double bolted to a long slider. There are no problems with the lens body flexing when on a TriPod or when held by two hands.

Perhaps you should set up your cage so that it mounts to both the camera and lens?
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #43
Trustee

I have an A7sII on preorder. Big reason I got the cage was to mount my light and shotgun, but also for the handstrap which I felt necessary for that heavy 28-135 lens. Unfortunately, the Varavon cage is turning out to be pretty lame for my needs, the two ways to mount the handstrap either don't allow the right hand fingers to operate any buttons, or they put the grip so far off camera that it's extremely difficult to operate the large lens. For now I am using the camera and lens without anything but the shotgun, no cage or tripod foot. Just hate the flat handgrip on the A7s, feel like I will drop it!

When I get the A7sII, I will probably mount the camera body to the tripod plate, if I can ensure the weight of the lens won't snap off from the camera. I've never operated a camera system with so much play, wiggle, and Jello before, feels like the parts are not made for each other.

Paul
Old September 25th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #44
Trustee

Here is some footage I just shot, handheld, just the camera and lens, LED used at the end. This is with the 28-135, mostly shot in autofocus. Not much ENG specific footage being posted, so thought I would put some in this post.

The EVF is soo much crisper and has more dynamic range than the LCD, I will be adding that new ENG eyecup to this sucker. How do I keep nose prints (and snot!) off of the LCD when using the EVF? :)

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I have an A7sII on preorder. For now I am using the camera and lens without anything but the shotgun, no cage or tripod foot. Just hate the flat handgrip on the A7s, feel like I will drop it!

When I get the A7sII, I will probably mount the camera body to the tripod plate, if I can ensure the weight of the lens won't snap off from the camera. I've never operated a camera system with so much play, wiggle, and Jello before, feels like the parts are not made for each other.

Paul
I seldom use a strap either now because I now take so few stills hand held.
Black Rapid and Tamrac (Boomerang) are my favorites.

Cameras are not made to support big lens, that is why there are mounts on the lens. Thus the camera hangs from the lens instead of the other way around.

A slider helps me balance my outfit on a TriPod. This is what I use to mount on the lens:
Amazon.com : Giottos MH621 Quick Release Adapter with Short Sliding Plate camera mount : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-MH611-...0_SR160%2C160_

Manfrotto 454 Micrometric Positioning Sliding Plate - 454 B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554370-REG/Manfrotto_430_430_Long_Plate_11.html
These also work:
http://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-T...bs_tab_pd_tr_3

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-F..._7161080011_70

If you get a long enough plate, it can be mounted to both the camera and lens foot, thus eliminating your problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554370-REG/Manfrotto_430_430_Long_Plate_11.html
Normally when shooting hand held, you should have one hand on the lens and the other on the camera, not just for support, but to stabilize the shot and work the controls
Roger Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR