Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old March 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds

I noticed something very awkward with my Sony A7: when using a vintage Nikon lens (any older manual Nikkor), with an adapter, and a very short shutter speed (1/4000th of a second), I get a very dark band in top of the image (picture 1). This happens only with short shutter speeds, if I choose a longer exposure, for example 1/400th, the banding is gone (picture 2). With the Zeiss 24-70 it is also gone. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?
Attached Thumbnails
Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds-4000sec.jpg   Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds-400sec.jpg  

Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds

I just found this last weekend - I was shooting with a Nikon 70-300 on my A7s at 1/8000 second and had exactly the same issue. I will post a photo later.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds

Here are a couple of images with the dark band - shot at 1/5000 sec. The band doesn't appear on pictures taken at a slower shutter speed. The lens was a Nikon 70-300 zoom with a cheap tube NEX- Nikon adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds-dsc02000.jpg   Dark band in upper part image, with short shutter speeds-dsc02008.jpg  

Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR