I am trying to import my Sony A6300 camera video feed into my Samsung A51 phone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Sony cameras with interchangeable E-mount lenses.

Old March 10th, 2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I am trying to import my Sony A6300 camera video feed into my Samsung A51 phone

Like the title states, I am trying to import my Sony A6300 camera video feed into my Samsung A51 phone.

I am shooting surfing, wanting to take my live video feed off the A6300 via HDMI cable into the phone. I got the cables, exporting the video to my feelworld lut7 monitor which receives the signal, no problem. The monitor has an HDMI output, typically used to connect to a TV. Instead, I got an HDMI cable that on the other end is a USB-C so it connects to my Samsung A51 smartphone.

Here is the problem, I go to live feed on Facebook and it is broadcasting the Samsung A51 camera feed on the phone, not the video feed coming into the phone via Sony A6300 > Feelworld lut7 monitor > Samsung phone.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I am not sure if is simple charging a phone setting on Android or the use of a specific phone app, or simply Impossible for the phone to use an outside video source as a feed for Facebook live or a live Instagram feed?

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise!
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I am trying to import my Sony A6300 camera video feed into my Samsung A51 phone

Post Deleted

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 10th, 2021 at 02:20 PM.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 02:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: I am trying to import my Sony A6300 camera video feed into my Samsung A51 phone

HDMI has been designed to restrict video to be sent out to only display devices (tv or monitor). This rule holds true whether its a camera, computer or phone (which is really just a tiny computer).
In order to import video you need a capture device that converts the video signal from hdmi to usb. Note this is a device not an adapter to change it to the right port. I doubt you could plug a capture device directly to your phone because it needs to be powered and phone can't do that.

One solution would be:
Camera > capture device > Laptop > Mobile Internet Router or the phone as hot spot wifi router > steam to internet
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff.................

First, apologies for crashing out of my first stab at this as I realized a tad more research was in order to get my head around it. That HDMI to USB-C cable threw me completely.

Here's Wikipedia's take on the subject of that cable:

Quote:
The HDMI alternate mode lets a user connect the reversible USB-C connector with the HDMI source devices (mobile, tablet, laptop). This cable connects to video display/sink devices using any of the native HDMI connectors. This is an HDMI cable, in this case a USB-C to HDMI cable.[69]
For anyone who hasn't English as a first language, and a very good grasp at that, a fall is guaranteed!

For even more on the subject, the gist of the HDMI/ USB-C morphing miracle, again, from Wikipedia:

Quote:
HDMI Alternate Mode for USB Type-C
The HDMI Alternate Mode for USB-C allows HDMI-enabled sources with a USB-C connector to directly connect to standard HDMI display devices, without requiring an adapter.[183] The standard was released in September 2016, and supports all HDMI 1.4b features such as video resolutions up to Ultra HD 30 Hz, and Consumer Electronic Control (CEC).[184] Previously, the similar DisplayPort Alternate Mode could be used to connect to HDMI displays from USB Type-C sources, but where in that case, active adapters were required to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI, HDMI Alternate Mode connects to the display natively.[185]

The Alternate Mode reconfigures the four SuperSpeed differential pairs present in USB-C to carry the three HDMI TMDS channels and the clock signal. The two Sideband Use pins (SBU1 and SBU2) are used to carry the HDMI Ethernet and Audio Return Channel and the Hot Plug Detect functionality (HEAC+/Utility pin and HEAC−/HPD pin). As there are not enough reconfigurable pins remaining in USB-C to accommodate the DDC clock (SCL), DDC data (SDA), and CEC – these three signals are bridged between the HDMI source and sink via the USB Power Delivery 2.0 (USB-PD) protocol, and are carried over the USB-C Configuration Channel (CC) wire.[183] This is possible because the cable is electronically marked (i.e., it contains a USB-PD node) that serves to tunnel the DDC and CEC from the source over the Configuration Channel to the node in the cable, these USB-PD messages are received and relayed to the HDMI sink as regenerated DDC (SCL and SDA signals), or CEC signals.[183]
The full article is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Bottom line: Your phone is considered by HDMI as a SOURCE. It can O/P HDMI via its USB-C port/ connector (if that option is supported on that phone) to a SINK device (display etc) but it CANNOT I/P HDMI from another SOURCE.

As Pete has already so clearly pointed out, your going to have to take your horse across some other obstacles to get your HD content from your camera to your phone.

I do hope I haven't made this any more impenetrable than it already was.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2021, 03:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I finally figured it all out but here is the problem; in Bali like many places the internet/phone signal sucks and although I could do it away from the beach, on the beach where I wanted to broadcast from it simply doesn't transmit the data sufficiently to make it watchable.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems