SLOG3 False Color LUT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems

Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Sony cameras with interchangeable E-mount lenses.

Old December 1st, 2021, 09:55 PM   #1
Major Player

SLOG3 False Color LUT

I'd like to share a false color LUT I made for monitoring SLOG3 while shooting.

My goal with this LUT is to display a properly transformed REC709 image that is both good for judging exposure AND pulling focus.

My problems with most other false color LUTs are:
1. They're designed for a REC709 image, so if you're shooting SLOG3, they're off.
2. The false color is overwhelming. Assigning every value to a color makes the image a confusing rainbow.

With this LUT, I only color a few key ranges:
Middle grey = green
Caucasian skin = peach
Nearly crushed shadows = blue
Nearly blown highlights = red

Because the majority of the image is a B&W image with proper contrast, I can keep the LUT up even while puling focus.

Posting link to the LUT here in case someone else might find it useful: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19T...m&usp=drive_fs
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2021, 06:52 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: SLOG3 False Color LUT

I was going to start dabbling in monitoring with false color, since the term caught my attention and my little Feelworld monitor offers it. What would it take for you to create a similar LUT that was for Sony modes other than S-LOG?

I like the effect of using a reduced set of colors for some occasions.
Charlie Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2021, 02:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: SLOG3 False Color LUT

It's trivial for me to make so long as the transform for the profile is published. What profile do you shoot?
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems