Better Sony A7R IV or Sony A7 IV for video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Sony cameras with interchangeable E-mount lenses.

Old January 25th, 2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Better Sony A7R IV or Sony A7 IV for video?

Hi, I need to clear my ideas and I hope you can help me, please. I DON?T take photos but only 4K video. I sold my old camera and I need to buy a new camera. I was thinking to buy Sony A7 IV, but today I came across the Sony A7R IV camera by chance and read its qualities. Despite being from 2019 and costing less than its sister A7 IV, gives a superior image quality than Sony A7 IV. Can you tell me what are the main differences between the 2 cameras and above all which one is better for making videos in 4K? Thank you very much.
Old January 25th, 2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Better Sony A7R IV or Sony A7 IV for video?

The A7R IV is the photo version of the A7 III, sharing the same features but has higher resolution viewfinder, LCD, and sensor. Confusing but it's not a version of the A7 IV.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Better Sony A7R IV or Sony A7 IV for video?

Adriano. If 4K video is what you want to shoot there is no comparison when it comes to file robustness and image gradability.

The Sony a7riv can record 4K (3,840 x 2,160) video at up to 30 frames per second in XAVC-S Long GOP and AVCHD video formats in 4:2:0 color space. Bit rates are offered up to 100 Mbps in XAVC-S 4K format.

The a7iv has both XAVC-S Long GOP and XAVC-I frame in 4K (3,840 x 2,160) which can be selected as 4:2:2 10-bit color space with bit rates up to 600 Mbps. In crop mode, the a7iv can also record 50/60p. Also, the a7iv offers the new S-Cinetone color setting profile which is becoming very popular. None of the features listed in this paragraph are available in the a7riv.

For serious video quality, the a7iv offering of 10-bit 4:2:2 color space is a big advance over the older 8-bit 4:2:0 color space of the a7riv. IMHO if it's video production you need the camera for then the a7iv is the better choice. Not to say you can't get good images out of the a7riv.

Finally, if you are going to shoot S-LOG3 for example then the 10-bit 4:2:2 of the a7iv is streets ahead of the a7riv S-LOG3 which is only 8-bit 4:2:0. Virtually no contest in S-LOG. S-LOG3 in 8-bit 4:2:0 is not a good codec to grade with.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems