F350 + Pro35 lens adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Tourist

F350 + Pro35 lens adapter

Has anybody tried the Pro35 lens adapter (and a set of primes) on the 350 with a 2/3" to 1/2" lens adapter? Could this work? I understand the primes would be less "wide" then on a camera with a 2/3" chip. I've called a few rental houses in California that handle this gear, but nobody has heard of anybody trying this combo.
Doug Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yeah, I've done it.

There is a crop factor going from 2/3 to 1/2. I also recommend you have plenty of light, I rate the combo at maybe ASA150 at best.

If you have to gain up, the combination of gain and ground glass texture will make things doubly worse for the MPEG encoder and you will be hating life.

If you have plenty of light though, it looks great. I recommend daylight exteriors, or daylight interiors with bigger HMIs. Night exteriors...you better have a big truck with you!
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Major Player

They have one now for 1/2" lenses, but it may be hard to find for rental at first.

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-pro35-1-2.php
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

A good thing for sure, but unfortunately does not address the core problem with the combo.
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nate,

Sounds like you are not too pumped on these adapters. Seems like they can really open up some possibilities, tho. Could you say a bit more about your experience with them? Was shooting cumbersome? What lens did you use? How many stops off would say the combo brings you down?

Thanks,
max

Max Kaiser
Director, Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

Mini or Pro35 adapters work well on large-chipped HD, or smaller chipped SD cams that don't already have light sensitivity issues. To me, an F900, Varicam, or even a DVX are good candidates.

I've used a Pro on a Varicam and 350, and Mini on an HD100 and DVX. Both the 350 and the HD100 created large amounts of grain in the blacks, mainly because I just didn't have a big enough lighting package to bring my stop up in both cases. MPEG recording, whether HDV or XDCAM 35mbs, exacerbates the grain and softens the image even more.

Again, my only advice is to make sure you can light EASILY to 150ASA when on the 350. That's a lot of light when indoors.
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Nate,

Pretty basic follow up question.

On a shoot how are you assessing what ASA levels are?
Do you use a simple photographer light meter?
EG: You set your lights up and then throw a light meter infront of the setup to see what ASA rating is? Or do you just know from experience?

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts