anyone with pdw-u1 & Sony Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Major Player

anyone with pdw-u1 & Sony Vegas?

Hi,

I just received an upgraded U1 - works fine with pdz1 , but I cant manage to write back any format to disk thru Vegas (8 build 217)

Any help?

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Trustee

If it won't work on mac, and won't work on Vegas... tell me again what we were waiting for?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #3
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

When I try to send a clip to disc with Vegas Pro 8 I get "Unexpected Error with XDCAM device."

When I simply drag and drop a clip in Windows to the drive, by dragging a MXF clip to the Clips folder, the access lights on the drive look like it is working for the appropriate amount of time, but in the end, NOTHING appears to have actually transfered to the Professional Disc.

Quite disappointing.

Is there any way we can report these results to Sony???

The only thing that does work is that I am now able to set the name of the disc from the computer.
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #4
Major Player

I managed to make a complete disk copy , also PDZ1 software works fine.

To me it looks like Vegas causes a verify error , I am investigating...

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5

Does drag and drop work in Windows for you or isn't that a way that should work? Wouldn't one just drag and drop to the Clips folder on the disc? Or is there a way to do simple clip copies to disc with the PDZ1 software instead?
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6

OK, totally rewriting this post based on some new testing results.

The error I encountered before was my own fault, I had added another internal hard drive to my system between last using the U1 and updating it so it could write. This changed the drive letter assigned by Windows to my U1, and I didn't realize this, and frankly, the error message didn't clue me in, either.

So now with that fixed, I have no problem using Vegas XDCAM Explorer to write clips to the U1, as long as they are clips that were recorded in my camcorder from other Professional Discs that are now on my hard drive, NOT Vegas created MXF clips.

The same is true for the PDZ-1 DirectMode software. It has no problem taking MXF clips from my hard drive and putting them on the Professional Disc.

BUT, when I render out a MXF in Vegas in the same exact format, Vegas can't verify the clip after it writes it to the U1, and the clip isn't on the disc in the U1 when I look.

This same clip, if I try to transfer it to the Professional Disc with the PDZ-1 DirectMode software will NOT transfer to the U1.

So, it doesn't look to me like it is a transfer problem in Vegas as much as a not perfectly valid MXF file being generated by Vegas. Vegas reads the file fine, but the U1 doesn't like it.

This may be where the problem lies. I haven't tried writing back files directly to the camcorder via firewire that were rendered from Vegas, does that work?

Renaming the disc works fine from Vegas through the U1. Though I also noticed even for clips that can be written to the U1 from Vegas, free form naming is not supported, they all end up C*, while with the PDZ-1 DirectMode transfer, the free form names work fine.

Last edited by Eugene Kosarovich; August 15th, 2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Update to test results
Eugene Kosarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:43 AM   #7
Tourist

vegas doen't work with the pdw700 4:2:2

I can't get vegas 8.0b & the pdw-u1 to work with the vision from the pdw700, i'm told that when ver 8.0c is released it will work, what is Sony waiting for? We've bought the cameras and shot the jobs but can't edit the vision.
Scott Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #8

Upgrade to Vegas Pro 8.0c

The 8.0c upgrade that was released yesterday fixes all the U1 problems that Uli and I both experienced, and it adds support for the PDW-700's modes.

Try it, you'll like it. :)
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #9

Vegas Pro 8.0c caution

OK, well, the good news is that Vegas Pro 8.0c does fix the XDCAM HD issues I mentioned above, in terms of bringing XDCAM HD in via the U1 and adding PDW-700 modes.

But, don't throw away your Vegas Pro 8.0b installer.

Unfortunately, I've found that "c" breaks XDCAM SD DVCAM MXF audio playback beyond 17 minutes 40 seconds and 8 frames. After that your audio will flatline, except for random spikes that will also cause picture breakup.

I've had to move back to Vegas Pro 8.0b till there's a fix.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #10

SCS has confirmed this bug, I'll let you all know when there's a fix.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts