Cinegamma curves comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Cinegamma curves comparison

Are there any graphs of the actual gamma curves of the STD and Cinegamma 1,2,3,4 settings in the F335/355?

The wording in the manual on the differences between the different gamma curves isn't really painting a picture for me. I mean, even my Z1 came with graphs of the different gamma curves it has. I think a graph would definitely help me see which curve does what.

Aren't there any for the XDCAM HD camcorders?

Thanks.
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Major Player

There are small graphs of the curves in the XDCAM brochure but that is marketing material, so I wouldn't rate them as accurate.

You can check (and adjust) the gamma with the use of a waveform monitor and a grayscale chart like the DSC labs "Toni".

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; August 17th, 2008 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Typos
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Trustee

To see what the gamma curves are doing you need to output the test SAW signal to a waveform monitor.

Unfortunately the standard menus on the 1/2" XDCAM HD camcorders are dumbed down so you have to access the service menus to access it.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
New Boot

I was wondering if the gamma curves on the EX1 are the same as on the F335/355?

There is a nice gamma graph of the EX1 here:
Default Cinealta Gamma Curves - <span class="highlight">Gamma</span> Curves DV Info Net Gallery

Looks the same as in the F335/355 brochure.
Richard Raaijmakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Trustee

The gamma curves are identical. It is like this on purpose so that the cameras (F3xx and EX1/3) can match perfectly.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Cool, thanks. The graph helps clarify what the manual described.

Although I realize it's subjective and lighting dependant, are any of the gamma curves really made only for use if you are doing fancy color grading in post, versus looking for a bit more film-like look in-camera?

I shoot HD in 60i with the standard gamma, but when I shoot in 30p, I'd like to use a cinegamma curve to give it a bit more of a film look, but not requiring more grading later.

Are any of the curves better for this use or any that should be avoided for this use?

Thanks.
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Cine 1 and 2 are for things such as film out. You really wouldn't want to use those unless you were grading or going out to film.

For straight to DVD etc Cine4 is a better bet. They don't really give you film look, but they do roll off the highlights much more smoothly than standard gammas by compressing the tonal range in the highlights. This does of course have potential pitfalls, but I've never really had a problem with them.

It would clarify things more if Sony took a leaf from Panasonics book and had an equivalent of Film Rec and Video Rec film style gamma curves to clarify their usage more.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Unfortunately the standard menus on the 1/2" XDCAM HD camcorders are dumbed down so you have to access the service menus to access it.
Well Simon, I'm happy to report that the 355 has an advanced menu available at the user level which addresses that issue.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Indeed there is Greg, but they still haven't included the Test SAW output in those options (white and black SAW are not the same thing).
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts