problem scaling HD to SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1
New Boot

problem downconverter HD to SD

Hello again, I have a problem scaling HD to SD, the contours are jagged, especially in parts of high contrast and definition is lower than in DVCAM, more blurred, there is some solution, working with the detail 0 HD.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by Alf Salva; September 25th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Alf Salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you downconvert HD footage in the camera in AVC mode, you can select the amount of SD detail in the menu. Page 5 of the paint menu. There's Hi/Med/Low.

This affects the downconverted detail only.

In my experience there's no noticable difference between shooting HD and capturing SD compared to shooting SD and capturing SD.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #3
New Boot

The problem is when you become a project in HD SD, when the NLE to scale the HD dv, the edges of the images are bright and stepped losing resolution, if it turns the camera is perfect.
Thank you
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Alf,

Can you tell us which NLE you use? And on what platform (Windows or Mac) ?

My current workflow for HD--> SD is (on Windows with Premiere CS3):

Export from Premiere CS3 to Debugmode Frameserver --> Start VirtualDub and open the frameserved AVI file.
In Virtualdub I do the scaling to SD using Lanczos3, use interlaced if source is interlaced, compression Blackmagic 10Bit 4:2:2 (I have a blackmagic card). Then in Encore I do a transcode to DVD. The end result is very nice.

Richard
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
New Boot

I use NLE Edius Broadcast 4.6, windows.
Thank you
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There is a known problem using Edius to encode directly from an HD timeline to SD output, and there are two basic workarounds:

(1) before doing the SD render change the project setting to widescreen SD and check your titles and effects for proper alignment before rendering.

(2) render an HD output file from the HD timeline, then pull that into a blank widescreen SD project to render the SD output.

Basically, the Edius encoder doesn't do well at processing HD directly to SD, but if you use an SD project setting it breaks that process up into two steps which the encoder handles better. For an even more detailed workaround with superior results see the Edius forums at Editing with EDIUS - Forum Index
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7
New Boot

The main problem is the phased appearing in the profiles of bright images that burns my f-350 XDCAM HD to move from SD to HD with my NLE Edius Broadcast.
thanks
Alf Salva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts