My Sony rep recommended XDCAM. But how expensive is the post pasth? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #31
Regular Crew

XDCam

Exactly,

I worked on a reality show not too long ago using XDCam.

I also see some DVCam used for broadcast as well. Some in news and some as a b-camera for reality TV shows.

A lot of 20/20 type interviews use a Betacam as an A cam and a DVCam as a reverse angle or, more often as a wide shot.
Jacques Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Yep Jacques, as for news XD or DTE would be the way to go, no loading. Another example of inefficiency is that our NBC affiliate has Avid laptops in their live trucks but they shoot tape, DSR 570. The ony advantage with the NLE, as far as their application, is that you could cut a nice package with transitions in the truck but as far as time, it's the same. They could at least add DTE to speed up the process.

Last edited by James Emory; October 9th, 2005 at 11:51 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #33
Trustee

Yes, I know it is used in lots of broadcast shows.

But what I am saying is that the fact that a lower level editor such as Vegas now allows XDCAM compatibility means that people who make low level corporate, training videos, industrial etc can now use XDCAM properly without having to buy a $2k+ editing system such as Avid.

In other words the XDCAM workflow is now more open to people who may want to upgrade from the likes of the DSR500.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #34
Trustee

Of course I understand that what I just said may sound slightly silly, ie someone who can buy a 2/3" camera should be able to afford $2k for a NLE.

However I own the 510 and edit on Vegas. I like Vegas. It is cheap, highly capable, and I didn't want to fork out for an Avid system if I could help it. The camera and all its accessories cost enough as it is!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Okay. I read it again and now see that you literally meant projects that were not meant for broadcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Of course I understand that what I just said may sound slightly silly, ie someone who can buy a 2/3" camera should be able to afford $2k for a NLE.
I think as long as the NLE that is used gets the job done, it shouldn't matter what it is or how much it costs and that idea is being proven every day with these much lower cost systems.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #36
Tourist

mpeg2..mpeg4..hdv boadcastblues..

a couple of months ago in the ct computer magazine published in germany..wrote about the slow start of digital tv..and the first digital tv station to start will send two formats mpeg2 1080 and mpeg4 to around 2008 and then after that only one format.. mpeg4.. i don't know the future but the idea blowing up anything to 35mm film, has no future. it's already here filmkunst 66 on the bleibteustrasse in berlin which is about 40km from the polish border.. a small neighbourhood cinema..invested already in a hd and beamer..and shows films... shooting half the resolution or thinking cinema culture is everywhere...is wishfull thinking..the beamer is the weakest link and it needs all the resolution it can get...
Barry Hyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #37
Regular Crew

XDCam

Personally, I don't think HD will be a mainstream acquisition and broadcasting format, for many, many years, if EVER. It might never become the standard, who knows?

Now digital TV, on the other hand, yes, that will become a standard. BetaSP is the only widely used analog format out there anymore...and look at all the new or relatively new and very good digital formats: Digibeta, DVCPro50, MPEGIMX, etc...

Why is BetaSP still alive and kicking? All the stations have so much invested in BetaSP/SX machines and editing equipment, it would be ridiculously expensive to dump all the equipment and switch to HD, which costs at least twice as much as current SD gear...The same goes with the newer digital formats, if a station invested in MPEGIMX just a couple of years ago, they would want that equipment to last a long, long time...
Jacques Star is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts