Reasonable used price for PDW-700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Reasonable used price for PDW-700

Hi All

I have seen a PDW-700 (body only) advertised at 4000 GBP. Would people agree that this seems suspiciously cheap? I have been pressing the seller for info on any faults, but he seems to be avoiding the issue. Shouldn't PDW-700's still be under a Sony guarantee? Any thoughts, or checks I should make if I go to have a look at it? Cheers, Jon
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Definitely ridiculously cheap.
From a dealer you'd expect to pay around £15,000, and private sale at the VERY LEAST £10,000. Remember none of these units are very old as it only came out about a year back, and there are no tape heads to wear out etc., so they should re-sell for only a little under the new price.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm inclined to agree. He is a also selling a Rolex Oyster and, bizarrely, at a different part of the country the same guy is selling a full EX3 kit for 2 grand. I smell a rat. Jon
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Wrangler

On this kind of thing, you should always ask for the serial number of the camera. A legitimate seller will have no problem giving you that information. However, someone fencing stolen goods won't want to do that. The price is way too cheap. This camera is likely stolen.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Greg, the guy actually includes a photo of the serial number. Its not possible to say if it has been photoshopped at all, but it can be read quite clearly as 11223, has anyone out there lost this camera? Jon
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The price of new PDW-700's recently went up quite considerably. You used to be able to get a body for around £16k, they are now closer to £20K. A viewfinder will add another £4k for the HDVF-20A, so new your now looking at a street price of around £23k - £24k. In my book that would put a used body plus finder in the £16K -£18K region and body only at around £14k to £16k. So yes suspiciously low price. As to see the original invoice from wherever he got it, then call the dealer or seller to see if it's legit.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am on the case, good call. Jon
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow View Post
Hi All

I have seen a PDW-700 (body only) advertised at 4000 GBP. Would people agree that this seems suspiciously cheap? I have been pressing the seller for info on any faults, but he seems to be avoiding the issue. Shouldn't PDW-700's still be under a Sony guarantee? Any thoughts, or checks I should make if I go to have a look at it? Cheers, Jon
Sounds like a bargain, Do you have the seller info?
Joe Blogg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts