F330 - How to update firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

F330 - How to update firmware

I bought my secondhand F330 about two months ago and I'm still very happy with it. In a few very old topics on this forum I've read that there was an update in 2008 with better noise-reduction. Now I'm just wondering how to update it. I've found this page on the Sony USA website:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...l-PDWF330.aspx

My F330 reads AT 1.50 and Package 1.56 and as package 1.98 is available on that website I'm affraid I'm having a real old firmware version. Is this 1.98 firmware the last available and will it work with my F330? How do I update this?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Trustee

F330 - How to update firmware

Your 330 is running the earliest software. Before version PKG-1.62/AT1.54 or any later version upgrade can be done your camera will have to go back to an authorised Sony service centre because a special service jig is required to perform the update to this level. At the same time the jig update is done ask to get the latest firmware installed, which from memory is FW v1.98 with ATv1.70. Any camera that has PKG-1.62/AT1.54 or later can be upgraded to the latest version by the owner. If doing your own updates just follow the installation PDF instructions TO THE LETTER! These instructions come with every firmware version download.

Apart from the noise reduction upgrade there are a host of other useful additions to the camera software so it is well worth getting it done.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think that's correct. I don't think you need the jig modification unless you want to use Memory Sticks larger than 16Mb. I was running 1.98 on my F350 when I sold it and I did not have the jig modification to the memory stick reader as I have a good supply of old memory sticks. You do have to work your way up through the updates you can't just load in the latest version. If you don't have the jig you have to skip the boot rom update.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the advices. Will it harm my camera to just update it in steps version by version without using the jig? Or can I just give it a try and look if it will work? What happens in case you don't install a new firmware properly? Will it harm the camera or is it in such cases just continuing to work on the old firmware? Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Check the readme files with each update as you go and skip the one that requires the Jig.
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I don't think you need the jig modification unless you want to use Memory Sticks larger than 16Mb. I was running 1.98 on my F350 when I sold it and I did not have the jig modification to the memory stick reader as I have a good supply of old memory sticks. You do have to work your way up through the updates you can't just load in the latest version. If you don't have the jig you have to skip the boot rom update.
That's exactly right Alister, except the original size limitation is 128mb, not 16. I went the same route. One of the upgrades featured a slightly different firmware version if you were not going to update for larger memory sticks. Beyond that, you can upgrade with no issue.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Just want to let you know that I finally succeeded in updating to the latest firmware. Indeed I did not need the Jig. Actually the most difficult part of the process was finding a memorystick that could work. Finally I used the original 8 MB memorystick that was delivered with a friend's VX2100 and it did the job. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

How to find the DIP-switches for "SERVICE"?

I'm trying to update my firmware (one by one). At the moment I'm still at my first update to PKG-1.62/AT-1.53. The camera is PDW-F330.

I've followed the instructions and have come to a point where I'm stuck!

The instruction now says:
"11. You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel. This information is also found in the service manual at the beginning of section 4."

Ehh... Where do I find these DIP-switches?

SOLUTION: I found it! I had to unscrew the four screws that hold up the whole left panel of the camera.

Last edited by Joachim Ljungquist; January 26th, 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: FOUND THE SOLUTION
Joachim Ljungquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Are all steps really necessary for firmware update?

Is it really necessary to open up the camera to complete the update. Below are the instructions I've followed so far.

In my opintion step 11 to 15 seem quite aqward and some people say "don't need to open camera to update firmware".

What do you think? And do I have to update each and everyone of the updates to get to the final version?

-------------------

How to Upgrade Software from version PKG-1.56/AT1.50 to
PKG-1.62/AT-1.53/FRESH-1.06

The following steps will guide you through upgrading the software without having to get into the Service menus. Be sure that you are operating the camcorder on a DC power source and not batteries to ensure that the battery does not cause a failure of the software upgrade. Remove the any disc from the camcorder before doing the software upgrade.
1. Format a Memory Stick (minimum size is 8M) in the camcorder. This is found under File menus F07 Memory Stick.
2. Now place the formatted Memory Stick into your PC and Place the following files into the folder MSSONY/PRO/CAMERA/PDWF350.
f350at.rom
F350PK.ROM
3. Place the Memory Stick with the above files into the camcorder.
4. Turn the camcorder Power OFF.
Hold the REC button and the Rotary Encoder select button depressed while you turn the camcorder power ON. This will force a loading of the New AT rom software from the memory stick to begin loading. Wait till the viewfinder displays “<FIRMWARE UPDATE>” Completed. This will take approximately 1 minute. The warning indicator will also be blinking. Now, power OFF the camcorder.
This has just upgraded the AT ROM software.
5. Power On the camcorder. Depress the Rotary Encoder select button while turning on the Menus. This will now display the top Page of the menu tree. Go to Menu Diagnosis D04 ROM VERSION. This is a new menu that was not previously present. The screen will be displaying the following:
AT: 1.51
PACKAGE: 1.56
6. Now press and hold depressed for 10 second the rotary Encoder button.
The menu display should change as follows:
AT: 1.51 �� 1.53
PACKAGE: 1.56 �� 1.62
The first number displays what is currently loaded in the camcorder and the second number (further right hand side) is the memory stick version.
Use the rotary and move the arrow to point to the software that you wish to upgrade (this should now be pointing to the PACKAGE. To move the arrow rotate the rotary encoder selection button.
Press the rotary encoder button and answer the question with yes to begin the software Package upgrade.
7. During this upgrade process do not remove either the memory stick or the power from the camcorder. At the bottom of the VF display you will see “Version Up and %” this is the completion of reading the file from the memory stick only and is not the % of the software upgrade completion. This portion is upgrading some CPU programs as well. Once this gets to 100%, then the writing of various Flash ROMs will begin. Wait for the display to Flash “COMPLETE”. This process will take about 10 minutes to complete.
8. Turn the camcorder Power “OFF”. Remove the memory stick from the camcorder.
9. Power the camcorder “ON”. Now go the menus and look at DIAGNOSIS menu D04 ROM VERSION and verify the two software packages are as follows:
AT: 1.53
PACKAGE: 1.62
10. Go to the Operations menu “O22” and reset All.

11. You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel. This information is also found in the service manual at the beginning of section 4.
12. Power On the Camcorder and Turn on the menu while holding the rotary encoder button depressed. You will see a new menu “Service” located at the bottom of this page. Select service menu and use the rotary encoder know to select menu S02 ROM VERSION 1. Insert your memory stick with the software upgrades. Wait till the camcorder has finished the memory stick read.
13. Press and hold the Rotary Encoder button depressed for about 10 seconds or until the memory stick software versions appear to the right of the camcorder software versions and an arrow appears in the left hand margin. Use the rotary encoder knob to move the arrow to be pointing at the software that may be different version than what is currently in your camcorder (FRESH). Once pointing at this software package depress the rotary encoder and then answer the question that will appear. To upgrade this software you will need to select YES. This will begin the software upgrade process. Do not remove power or do anything else until this process is completed, The display will display “DONE”. This update of software takes about 6 minutes. Turn the power off and then back on. Go back into menu S02 ROM VERSION 1 and verify the following software versions are as follows:
AT :1.52
Package :1.60
Fresh :1.06
14. Power OFF the camcorder and remove the memory stick. Now, set the Service dip switch back to the OFF position. Section 1 of S501 on the DCP-37 card. If this switch is not set back to the off position you will not be able to save Scene or All files to either the camcorder memory or the memory stick.
15. This completes the software upgrade. Refer to the Technical memo for feature improvement and bug fixes and well as the readme first document.
NOTE: With this version of software you should also upgrade the FAM Driver (File Access Mode driver) for your NLE and PC use, The new version is 1.50. If you use PDZ-1 (Proxy Browsing Software) this should also be upgraded to version 2.10.
If you are using a Mac OS and Final Cut Pro or Avid software operating on a Mac platform there is a new version of the File transfer version 1.1. This will also need to be upgraded.

------------------------------

SOLUTION FOUND:
I found this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post561146

This tells that the procedure with opening the camera and use the DIP-switch should NOT be necessary. Hope this info is ok! :)

BUT - when I tried to flip the first switch as told, no SERVICE MENY came up anyway. The only change I could notice was that the LCD was not on any longer and that I had to look in the VF...

Feels a bit uncomfortable...

Last edited by Joachim Ljungquist; January 26th, 2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Found solution!
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

From what I'vre read I need to update every and single firmware from my current to the newest one, correctly?

It seem like I have to skip the Firmware update V1.62-AT V1.54, since it seem to be the one needing a jig to update the MemoryStick usage to 2GB.

Instead guess I should go directly with the next one, V1.93...
Then V1.93-AT V1.61...
Then V1.95-AT V1.70
Then V1.96-AT V1.70
Then the final V1.98

Right?
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Joachim,

I also sent you this information via email but also post it here for future reference.

I used the 8 MB memorystick that was originally delivered with a friend´s VX2100. Because the update files are only around 5 MB each it worked out. I didn´t need the jig for bigger memorysticks at all. I used this Sony USA download site:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...l-PDWF330.aspx

I just updated the packages with step 1 to 9 and never updated the AT version, that number was going upwards `by itself`. I don''t know if I've gone through all the things I should but it looks OK, at least my F330 reads AT 1.70 and package 1.98 now. I also have the Noise Reduction option in the menu, the thing why I started the update-process. I hope this information helps.
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Ljungquist View Post
From what I'vre read I need to update every and single firmware from my current to the newest one, correctly?

It seem like I have to skip the Firmware update V1.62-AT V1.54, since it seem to be the one needing a jig to update the MemoryStick usage to 2GB.

Instead guess I should go directly with the next one, V1.93...
Then V1.93-AT V1.61...
Then V1.95-AT V1.70
Then V1.96-AT V1.70
Then the final V1.98

Right?
No, there is a different file to go with 1.62 if you don't want to update the memory stick capacity. I believe it's a 1.53 vs 1.54 file. It's been awhile so I can't recall, but the release notes for that firmware update spelled it out pretty clearly.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts