How to display Ch 3/4 levels in Viewfinder? PDW-700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Major Player

How to display Ch 3/4 levels in Viewfinder? PDW-700

Hello All,

With my PDW-700 I am trying to show the small level indicator for CH 3/4 in the VF display. I see CH 1/2 regardless of the MON switch position on the side of the camera. Audio output is following the switch correctly, but VF does not display 3/4, just 1/2. I have gone through the most excellent Vortex field guide that I have, but no clues there.

Any ideas? Must be really obvious, or some arcane menu selection. Need it for Monday 6AM shoot to ride levels on a spare wireless set. Quick plug--The Vortex field guide for the PDW-700/ 800 is one of the best pieces of technical writing/ explanation I have ever had the pleasure to use. If you have been putting off getting one, do it soon, you won't be sorry. End of plug.

Thanks,
George
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

hi George,

I am doing PDW700/F800 trainings in Germany - but never have seen ch3/4 on the XDCAM HD cameras VF.

If there is no hidden feature I´ve never heard of before, the only way of metering 3+4 is the side display.

Be aware that there is a way to switch 3+4 to fix or manual level by disengaging AGC 3/4 (Stereo - Mono - OFF).

Best regards

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Vortex Media

George,

Uli is correct, you can't display CH3 and CH4 in the viewfinder. You can see them on the LCD panel or output them to a field monitor, but you can't show them in the VF.

Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Exactly the same goes with the PMW350. One of the first tasks I did when I took delivery of the camera was to locate the Ch 3 & 4 vf display option button/switch, but alas there is none (at the moment anyway).
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the F335 and it seems that audio channels 3 and 4 are set for automatic gain. I've gone into the Maintenance Menu under Audio -1, AU CH34 AGC Mode and see that there are options for stereo, mono, and off.

Using the camera mic as a source (front) I don't see any control difference on the audio meter when switching between stereo, mono, and off within the maintenance menu, Audio-1, AU CH34 AGC Mode. All selections seem not to have any effect and auto gain for channels 3 and 4 remains.

Is there a way to manually control audio channels 3 and 4 on a F335?

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Trustee

I have the F350 and the audio for channels 3 & 4 are auto gain which is great sometimes but a problem other times. What I do if I'm using two lav mic's is plug the on camera light into channel three and use channel 1 & 2 for lav's so I have control over gain.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Larson View Post
Is there a way to manually control audio channels 3 and 4 on a F335?
Dan
In Vortex Media's F800/700 Field Guide I describe the necessary steps to manually control CH3/4 audio on those cameras. So I pulled out my F350 yesterday afternoon for the first time in a couple of years to see if the same thing could be done on that camera. Unfortunately the necessary menus are not included on the F350. As far as I can tell, you can't do it.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I usually use channels one or two for a boom or wireless mics and 3&4 for nats. Earlier this year I recorded guitar music for a DVD I produced and used the F335 camera and stereo mic on 3&4 to get an easy stereo recording onto a disc and it sounded great - no isses with the auto gain. I purchased a 20 foot 5 pin audio cable that gave me the length to get a good placement of the mic on the guitar. I also used Soundtrack Pro to add some reverb. It would have been nice if Sony provided level control over 3&4.

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts