Simple rendering mxf file to avi? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple rendering mxf file to avi?

Hello all.
Shooting with a F350L and editing with Vegas 7.
Already missing the simplicity of shooting and editing with my old DSR 450.

Quick question (x2) for all of you!

Can you render a mxf file, bring it onto the time line and then render it as an avi file? Just had a go at this and thought the avi file looked a little blurry? Is there another method for doing this? Or put it simply, if you want to redner an avi file, take in the footage through the camera as DV out?

Can you render the mxf clip intro a windows media 9 video file so it can play from PC's at full resolution? Is it this simple?

Hooking the camera up to my Sony Bravia and the pictures are stunning. Just wish I could show clients the footage in this detail! Most of my clients require their 'projects' delivered on DVD.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Sparky (UK)
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Tourist

Hi Sparky

You need to pull the mxf file onto the time line and then select the whole clip which you want to turn into an AVI

Then go to the "Render as" tab and select this option. You can then convert the mxf file into an uncompressed avi by setting the options.

Kate
Kate Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for taking the time to reply Kate.
Do you know if the quality of the final avi file be as good as if the footage had been brought in to the system as DV instead on mfx?

Cheers.
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Tourist

Hi Sparky

We tend to set the options to uncompressed 1920 x 1080 p but you will find that windows media player can not handle this file ( ie the Sound plays in advance of the video ). As for the quality you can not beat it. But we tend to use these AVi's for editing in Premier studio suite which can handle the full resolution files.

I hope that helps

Kate
Kate Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Major Player

this is exactly why I am haunting a "SD AVI PROXY" editing...

I WANT to shood HD,

edit and deliver (DVD) in SD AVI (why not DV...)

AND have a workflow available to *instantly" swith to HD files to use the same Vegas EDIT -> Playout (Render) HD Master...

I found a way to render out SD AVIs with the exactly same file name (c0001whatever.mxf) for the rendered SD AVIS - so you can simply swap the HD folder against the SD folder (and vice versa) to work with either HD files or SD files...

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I am working with .MXF files from Panasonic HVX200p which stores the video in 4GB blocks, but the whole video is 95 minutes which is about 14 blocks over two P2 cards so there are 2 different folders also.I am quite happy with the Pavtube Video Converter.I had MXF videos that I could not convert no matter what I did to it, so I thought this will try Pavtube out. Away we went and very quickly I must say, and the result, well it was very high quality and no synch problems.
Pavtube link: Pavtube Video Converter: Best software to convert video, convert WMV, AVI, MPEG.
Hale Nanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Can you confirm that this piece of software converts mpg2HD MXF files into other formats?

What about timecode? I guess the resulting AVI files are not TC-compliant?

thanks

Uli
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Major Player

I had a first try with SP XDCAM HD (1440, 25mbit) Files and found that converting to AVI was blocky, mpg2 was fine.

The tool is easy to use, unfortunately there is a progressive look to the converted footage (from 50i), looks like a simple deinterlace algorithm - cant change the way it works.

So it seems to be no a tool for mastering to SD , but a nice converter tool for "easy converting" any formats.

Thanks for the link.

uli
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCarthy View Post
Can you render the mxf clip intro a windows media 9 video file so it can play from PC's at full resolution? Is it this simple?
You don't need to convert. Just use VLC player. It plays XDcamHD MXF files easily.
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #10
Major Player

I just tested pdw700 footage - works too (conv. to WMV HD, mpg2, AVI YUV2 etc.)

What still doesnt work is a simple DV AVI (creates strange big blocks).

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts