Online footage to look at (was:7 camera XDCAM HD Shoot on Wed) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 6th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Nate- very nice.. What mode were the cameras set-up in. 24P?, 60i?
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've done a few similar shoots, multi-cam iso record, director suggesting shots. Often with my 6m jib or polecam thrown in to the mix. Again audio is done by a pro audio company and like Nate we do the edit to a rough mix. When the final mix arrives and we drop it in the show suddenly comes to life. It always impresses me how different the final mix sounds. It's the small details that make the difference between an average production and a superb production.
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill
Nate- very nice.. What mode were the cameras set-up in. 24P?, 60i?
24p is the name of the game.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #19
Contributor

Hi Nate,

Great looking footage! Have you ever bothered to capture from HD-SDI outputs, or is the footage recorded to disk that good?

Stuart
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brontman
Great looking footage! Have you ever bothered to capture from HD-SDI outputs, or is the footage recorded to disk that good?
Of course it's that good. Would kinda suck to buy a camera that wasn't usable unless you had a computer tethered to it.

Tethering isn't viable for a lot of the work I do, which is either multicam or doc-style run & gun.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #21
Contributor

Hi Nate,

I think I worded my question poorly. I realize the footage is great right off the discs. I should have asked if anyone even bothers to use HD-SDI out since the disc footage IS great. It's amazing how much more you can get from 35mB/sec vs. 25mB/sec (not to mention 1/2" chips).

If my upcoming HD project does allow for it, I'm purchasing either the 330 or 350. If I end up with a 1/3" camera, I'll try and grab HD-SDI output to maximize quality. In other words, why not just get the 330 or 350 and not worry about quality?

Stuart
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #22
Wrangler

Just found out that a cutdown of the DVD is airing on Fuse multiple times next week:

d’Fused:
Taking Back Sunday Louder Now DVD: Part One
Fuse gives Taking Back Sunday fans
a preview of the band’s new DVD.

Premieres: Monday 12/11 @ 10pm EST
Repeats: Tuesday 12/12 @ 2am EST
Thursday 12/14 @ 2:30pm EST
Monday 12/18 @ 3am EST
Thursday 12/21 @ 8pm EST
Saturday 12/23 @ 11:30pm EST

Remember, only the concert portions are XDCAM HD!
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #23
Wrangler

DVD was released today.

For those of you desperate to see 24p XDCAM HD footage, you can run to your local Target or Walmart and pick up Taking Back Sunday, Louder Low:Partone. It would be in the CD section, it's packaged as a CD instead of DVD (clever marketing).
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

were the camera controls operated from video village...or did each camera operator control his iris, focus, etc? if the camera operator did it all...how much time would you guess did you spend on color correction...if you had any?

jeremiah

ps....BEAUTIFUL STUFF!!! going to buy the dvd for sure
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #25
New Boot

Very nice concert footage!
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #26
Regular Crew

i got the dvd...watched it...and i see lots of artifacts...everywhere...lots of blockys...looks like interlace artifacts..and some other artifacty kind of noise...is this the cam...or the poor compressions job done on the DVD?
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #27
Wrangler

Poor compression on the DVD.

Also, I originally delivered the 4 songs on Digibeta, from a XDCAM native to uncompressed SD 10-bit Quicktime.

A couple days later, I was asked if I could provide the DVD editor with a Quicktime file, so I gave them the 10-bit uncompressed SD QT.

They had problems with that, so they finally broke down and told me they were editing the entire program in DV because all of the road footage was of course DV.

So in the end, you're seeing twice compressed DV of my original, and then compressed to MPEG-2 in a not-so-hot fashion.

I promise you, the original is beyond pristine. That's really disappointing that you noticed. Oh well.

There is however some aliasing in my downconverts, from Compressor. There needs to be a certain amount of vertical filtering go reduce the detail, otherwise you get interlace twitter, with is some of what you're seeing...like a .5 pixel blur in the vertical direction. So a little of it is my fault, but 90% of it is the DV business and the DVD compression.
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #28
Regular Crew

yeah...it was very noticable...first thing I saw. That's so frustrating when you can't control the final product and output..especially when it's something you work hard on and are proud of...but..other than the compression...beautiful work!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:50 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi Nate,

cool footage!

Question: Have the cams been TC synched or did they run free without any Genlock/TC hookup?

And: How has the f330 been used - probably NOT with stock lens I guess?!? ;-)

(what lenses have been used btw?)

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors
Question: Have the cams been TC synched or did they run free without any Genlock/TC hookup?
We tried to sync all via the audio mobile truck's house TC and were unsuccessful. Realized later it was the wrong kinda of TC signal. It slowed me down about 3 minutes in the edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors
And: How has the f330 been used - probably NOT with stock lens I guess?!?
I think we had a Fuji 2/3" HD lens on the 330, which was at FOH position. The rest of the 350s had Canon 2/3" J11x4.5 broadcast series SD lenses, which were tack sharp.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts