Mac/FCP won't see F70 deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Mac/FCP won't see F70 deck

A producer just dropped off a F70 XDCAM deck but I can't get my MAC (intel Quad) to see it.
The transfer software seems to be installed correctly and I've swapped firewire cables.

Is there a trick to this I'm not getting? I don't have a manual for the deck so I haven't a clue what to try.

Thanks!
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Okay I think I'm learning a little. The mode is set to av/c which is what I need anyway to downconvert to SD, right?

I can see the disk in FCP but I can't seem to control it and FCP doesn't see timecode. Any hints?

Thanks!
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #3
New Boot

I am using Avid on a PC so it is probably different but, Are you trying to digitize material using deck control or import the files directly?

Go to the interface select menu on the deck. There you can switch how the computer sees the deck thru the firewire cable between A/V (traditional audio video signal) or FAM mode (File Access mode) like a hard drive.
Matt Trecartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Warren

If you want to mount the disk on the desktop and use XDCAM Transfer for import and export of your media then you must change the deck to FAM mode (and install the Sony XDCAM Transfer software available from their download page)

If you want to capture using Log and Capture then the deck needs to be in A/VC which is its tape deck emulation mode ... in that mode HD media can be downcoverted and captured via the FW (or SDI) outputs

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Warren, just a warning on the deck with the firewire 400 connection.
It is some what easy to plug the firewire 400 cable in backwards and
think/feel like it is a firm connection/fit.
This would burn out the circuit in the deck. So, be careful...
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts