HD or SD in terms of focus on the F350? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 17th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD or SD in terms of focus on the F350?

Hi, I have decided to buy an F350, and I have a demo unit to use while I wait for mine. I will be shooting hockey news, viz and clips, which will get fed in SD from the camera.

When shooting the practice visuals, it is necessary to follow focus as players move up and down the ice(more than a little callenging). From that point of view, is focus more critical when recording in HD than DVcam mode, or does it make any difference after downconverting?

From another discussion, I understand that the color quality of my feed material should be better if I shoot in HD.

Any thoughts on the best way to work are appreciated. Thanks
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well I'll answer my own question.

Just came back from the morning skate, I shot 1080i. Fed the footage to Toronto in 16/9 SD. They said the footage looked good. I came back home and took a look on my old Sony PVM8020 monitor, and the footage looked nice and sharp. No focus problems, I was shooting at f5.6 for the most part. Interviews looked fantastic, just used the preset 3200k and an Anton Baurer Ultra light.

BTW, I tried using my Dionic 90, and had no problems with the sungun. Someone had said earlier about Anton Baurer not recommending the Dionic 90 for this camera, but so far it looks to be just fine. However, I kind of like the steadiness and balance with my AB Hytron 140 a bit better.
I have to say that I am starting to really enjoy this camera. My reporter is pretty stoked about it too!
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

You might notice any focus problems if you view the footage on a HD monitor. Since you have more resolution that is when the focus issues become more apparent.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No doubt, but fortunately, this is sports news, and all they really care about is sound(clips). Definitly will have to get a HD monitor though!
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No doubt, but fortunately, this is sports news, and all they really care about is sound(clips). Definitly will have to get a HD monitor though!

I'm liking the Fuji HSs18x5.5 quite a bit. Nice reach, and pretty crisp.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Stay around 5.6 as you did an you should be OK any more and it starts to get a little more difficult.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts