lenses in general at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

lenses in general

Hello,

I shoot for three years high contrast scenes like fashion, parties, etc..mainly in low light. I use JVC DV5000. I am satisfied with the picture, but I would like to shoot in 16:9 SD and little in HD. Lets say I dont want to stay with SD cameras like 450WSPL. For the price, I woul rather get XDcamHD or new Panasonic HPX500. Due to my budget, I would like to stay with SD lenses with the price up to 4500$.

My question:

I dont understand if the lens has to be 16:9 switchable, or I can use these low cost lenses for my SD work in 16:9 ?

Thank you very much in advance.
Petr Bastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I only asked, if 16:9 lenses are necessary for 16:9 camera, or all lenses are usable on 16:9 cameras. That is all. Can anyone post an answer?

Thanks

Petr
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't believe that there is any difference between a 4:3 and a 16:9 lens, as long as the image from the lens covers the sensor.

The problem putting a standard def lens on and HD camera is that the lens will not have the glass to get a good resolution, or a sharp picture.

For a lot less money you could get many other HD cameras with the lenses already there. All of the HDV cameras shoot 16:9 I believe and you can get one for around $3,000 here.

Best of luck--Mike
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i use Fuji 13x4.6BRM-28 SD lens.
Very good, very wide.

In general shots, u won't be able to discern the difference with an HD lens.
I'll wait for 2/3" XDCAM HD if i'm going to buy an HD lens.

check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75732
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Meanwhile I know that Fujinon Lenses have those extensions:

-28 : HotShoe Mount, but no internal Contacts (Cable wired)
-38 : HotShoe Mount, internal contacts (transfer of data as well)

I am wondering how to differentiate the Canon Lenses.

Some vendors mention "Canon XYZ (SONY)" and the price is slightly higher than the same lens without "(SONY").

Am a bit confused since Iīd like to go for the YH12x4.8 KRS (with F330) for SD projects , but unsure if it will work (Klaas van Urk mentioned good results).

Thanks

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for the answers guys.

Petr
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Lenses & DIP SWITCHES

Hi guys,

I spent quite a lot time in the last days and weeks to understand more of lenses - SD & HD - in general.

In that time I also read a lot of pdfs from Fujinon and Canon - and I think I understand much more now than before.

One thing still makes up my mind rg. lenses and HD - Focussing:

After my experience with a friendīs DV5000 some years ago, I saw Zoom (& Focus? cant remember) numbers in the display. My DVC200 (Panasonic) cant.

Thinking of purchasing (going to within next 4 weeks) F330 I read that the Canon AF transfers Z/F numbers to the display as well.

Hooray - that makes it easy to rackfocus ... NOT. As you know rack focussing with this AF Lens is nearly impossible - so it wonīt become my friend...

That made me look for other solutions.

NOW I know that most professional Lenses must be switched on for data transfer - even XS17x5.5 can do it , but must be switched on first (there are some posts here describing it and I met a f330 user who told me) - voila, with focus numbers/data rack focussing is much easier.

Remembering the DV5000 - the JVC had no Hotshoe, so DATA can also (Zoom numbers? Focus numbers?) transfered by cable.

BUT: Its nearly impossible to find out WHICH lenses (SD/HD) are able to transfer either Zoom or (more important for me:) Focus data!
However, not all lenses catch the focus value, they (cheaper ones) also dont have dip switches , so my main question still is:

How can we find out if the lens is capable to do it?

I found that there is a big lack of information, since the f330 user mentioned above first had to have some phonecalls with fujinon to find out.

I am very happy to know that the xs18x5.5 can do it - to be honest , Iīll go for a S13x4.6 BERM - I meanwhile met a few users with that lens and it will fill my needs for a WA lens. Rg. Fujinon - 38 Lenses I ASSUME that those lenses (Data thru Hotshoe Contacts) are capable, but I have no idea about the -28 (hotshoe compatible, but power/data thru cable). And what about Canon?

Again - documentation is very bad , you dont find any infos on that in the specs of any lens?!?

Any help appreciated.

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I've used the YH12x4.8 on a F330 and it works and is nice and wide but is a little soft even when used for SD. The production co that owns it is going to get another lens as they find the 4.8 too soft. There is no data transfer with this lens, but as with almost all pro lenses they do feed back the aperture to the camera. I certainly wouldn't use the YH12x4.8 for HD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts