DV OUT workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Major Player

DV OUT workflow

If working SD and NOT wanting to convert HD into SD in my NLE, does the DV Out behave like a tape based system?

Exactly: Can I use batch cap tools like scenalyzer with it?

I know about the advantages of the disc + FAM and love it, but IŽll have certain projects where I am will probably do (shoot) HD but capture DV.

(Explanation: I am working with Vegas. Regarding big projects Vegas has not to render cut projects (DV AVI) as long as no effects / scaling is done. Therefore EXPORT is very fast).
Contrary to this, any MXF (MPG) has to be rendered first. For "fast" projects in SD (filmed in HD) it looks faster FOR ME & my workflow) to capture DV from the Fiwi-out)

I was wondering if batch capturing etc. works the same way I am used to with my Panasonic DVC200.

Thanks!

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it does work the same as good ol' DV tape.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

With the added benefit that using the transport controls in the NLE to scrub back and forth is a very quiet operation, unlike tape based units. Plus, it doesn't induce as much wear and tear!

You probably already know this, but if you are using AV/C mode for firewire, you can have the camera crop the 16:9 to 4:3 during playback so that it doesn't have to be done in the NLE.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Major Player

just to be sure:

The F330 cant be switched to output HD (18/25/35) via firewire in realtime, correct? Transfering HD means go FAM always?

Thanks

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
just to be sure:

The F330 cant be switched to output HD (18/25/35) via firewire in realtime, correct? Transfering HD means go FAM always?

Thanks

ULI
That's correct and true for both cameras. There is no HD stream from firewire, only file transfer in FAM mode.

FAM mode- device looks like an attached drive to Windows/Mac

AV/C mode- device looks like a deck to Windows/Mac

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts