XDCam HD discs not mounting on intel-mac in FAM mode - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Wow. If the reinstall didn't work, I wonder if you need to zap your PRAM to get the firewire port recognized.

Restart the MacPro and hold down <Option><Cmd><P><R> and hold it down for a few 'bongs' as the mac starts... then your PRAM should have been zapped. Then try mounting the XDcam again...

best,
-Greg
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #17
New Boot

Didn't help. I resetted the PRAM, removed the drivers according to Greg's "how to...", then deleted the applications themselves (XDCam transfer and FAM driver tool), deleted the installation receipts, repaired permissions, rebooted the Mac, then installed the software again - same result. Disc won't show up in the finder. Here comes the really interesting part: since going through this procedure neither Quicktime nor Final Cut Pro can read the last XDCam HD clips I transferred to our raid using our G5. I imported them when I started this thread and noticed the software wasn't working with our intel mac. The files were all ok and I already finished a project on the intel mac using them. Now I can neither open them on the intel mac nor on the G5. The screen in FCP gets green when I open them and Quicktime gives me an error message. I have no problem opening older XDCamHD files, just this last project seems to be affected. Scary, huh?
Christian Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Christian,

Perhaps your OSX installation got corrupted. Hmm. How about doing this:

1. Boot from MacPro install disc. Do a clean install. Options: Erase and Install. Customize -> No printer drivers, no language translations except the ones you need. No extra fonts. No additional printer drives. Select X11 .
2. Do a basic install of FCP Studio for now. Just pick FCP and Compressor only, that way it will install in only 2 minutes. Install everything else later.
3. Do Software Update. Get all updates.
4. Reinstall XDcam 1.1 drivers/xfer
5. Try FCP again with import and see if it works...

best regards,
-Greg
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #19
New Boot

Hi guys,
some of you might be interested what exactly the problem was. Like Alister said: it was the MetaSan software. I had a 4 hour remote desktop session with one of the support guys from tiger technologies and he managed to fix the problem. He said it has something to do with MetaSan blocking non-HSF volumes. The funny thing is: this bug only affects intel Macs.
Once again: Big thanks to all of you who tried to help me.

Christian
Christian Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Hoffmann View Post
Hi guys,
some of you might be interested what exactly the problem was. Like Alister said: it was the MetaSan software. I had a 4 hour remote desktop session with one of the support guys from tiger technologies and he managed to fix the problem. He said it has something to do with MetaSan blocking non-HSF volumes. The funny thing is: this bug only affects intel Macs.
Once again: Big thanks to all of you who tried to help me.

Christian
Christian, many thanks for that follow-up. I had a software conflict last fall, affecting my import of XDCAM. It would max out the processor and take forever to import stuff. Wouldn't show thumbnails either, unless I manually created them from XDCAM transfer. It turned out to be the 3ivx codec package version 4.5.1.

Glad you got it resolved!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts