XDCAM HD & FCP Clip Based Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM HD & FCP Clip Based Workflow

We use FAM for all of our transfers to FCP. We also use the timecode reader filter to burn window dubs of our source clips for offline edit decisions.

Does anyone know of a plugin filter that can burn-in or overlay the Clip Name as well?

Right now I have to use a text filter and manually type each clip name to display it in the window burn.

I figure if a plug-in can read timecode, it may also be able to read the clip name.

Now that we're file or clip based, we relate to clip names first - then timecode.

Thanks
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Major Player

you can use this filter from 1z1 ... it will let you add the filename from which the clip is taken.
as long as your filename represents your clipname ie you have not renamed it in fcp, then you are good to go

http://www.1z1.at/plugins/#displaysourcetc
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
you can use this filter from 1z1 ... it will let you add the filename from which the clip is taken.
as long as your filename represents your clipname ie you have not renamed it in fcp, then you are good to go

http://www.1z1.at/plugins/#displaysourcetc
Thanks Andy,

I had found that plugin in a search, but it only displays the "source reel" name not the "source clip" name.

I guess I could see if that programer can change it for use with clip names.

I'd appreicate any further lead to help find a solution.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Major Player

HDcam offline DV import

Do you know if timecodes are kept, if importing downsample material from a Sony HDW HJ3 through firewire?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Major Player

hi Richard

no its not possible. there is no means to ascertain the clip name programatically, using either fxscript or fxplug.

if you really need it then your only option is to use xml ... using an xml export of the sequence one could programtically apply a modified timecode reader filter with the clip name; then reimport modified xml to generate a new sequence with the clipname/timecode filter.

my original sugestion was based on the notion that your clips came from xdcam using FAM mode (xdcam transfer) and therefore the source name and clip name would be identical

if you have renamed the clips after import so that they do not match the source name then it will not be useful method for you

cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Andy,

I use FAM. I do not change the clip names.
They are exactly the same as what's recorded to disk.

The problem with the plugin you recomended, is that it only looks at the "reel" name in FCP(which is the name of the source disk ex. "Disk 1"). If the plugin would look at the "Clip" name it would work.

I emailed the programmer in hopes that they can help.

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom View Post
Do you know if timecodes are kept, if importing downsample material from a Sony HDW HJ3 through firewire?
Jonas,

Not sure if the camera you mentioned is a file based or tape based camera.
Digitizing from a deck that supports realtime downsampling should faithfully
export the correct timecode.

Best of Luck
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Major Player

>The problem with the plugin you recomended, is that it only looks at the "reel" name in FCP(which is the name of the source disk ex. "Disk 1"). If the plugin would look at the "Clip" name it would work.

sorry for the misinfo there Richard.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts