ProRes 422 and XDCam HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ProRes 422 and XDCam HD

I'm still having trouble seeing the advantage to converting native XDCam HD 35 VBR to ProRes 422. I've heard you get SD file sizes with HD material when using ProRes but XDCam HD already does that. Is it a color space issue? Speed of rendering? I always thought it was a bad idea to transcode a native format to something else unless you had no choice.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Major Player

The better colourspace will help with any rendered effects such as filters, CC and transitions etc.

Simple way is to do all the work in XDCam HD codec and when you are finished drop the finished sequence into a ProRes timeline and render.

If you are planning on mastering back to XDCam then I can't see where there would be an advantage to this route. However if you are outpuuting to HDCam or above then it will improve the quality.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

Dan, the main promise of ProRes is to make UNCOMPRESSED HD come down to near standard DV data size without a loss in visual quality. Since XDCAM HD is already just above DV25 data rates, there is no significant advantage to using ProRes. If however, you were grabbing a live HDSDI feed from the camera head into an uncompressed capture, ProRes would be your friend.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Major Player

There is also the issue of an Intraframe codec vs. a Interframe codec
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Ah yes the evil of Mpeg 2 Long GOP!
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
Help me out Bennis. I don't see the relevance of your statement in the context of this thread.

-gb-
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #7
Major Player

I think it's another long GOP Mpeg2 is bad to edit with reference
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Wrangler

There's a setting in FCP6, that if you have a native HDV/XDCAM HD timeline, FCP can use ProRes as a render format. It's in Sequence Settings/Render Control.

This makes the old method of copy/pasting XDCAM HD native timelines into Uncompressed or other codec timelines unnecessary (or mostly unnecessary).
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Cool, I'm getting my copy of 6 next week.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses and for confirming where I was headed. We shoot on XDCam HD 35 VBR, edit natively and then master back to XDCam HD 35 VBR so in this workflow I see little advantage to ProRez. VERY COOL though for the HDCam and higher folks.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but just when I thought I had it all figured out I have to ask:

-If you are XDCam HD native all the way through post and then mastering back to XDCam HD- why would rendering in ProRez do you any good?
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse here, but just when I thought I had it all figured out I have to ask:

-If you are XDCam HD native all the way through post and then mastering back to XDCam HD- why would rendering in ProRez do you any good?
Okay Dan, as much as I loathe animal cruelty, I'll bring out the whip one more time. In the scenario you mentioned, there is no benefit of ProRes 4:2:2 IMO.

-gb-
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the additional swat at the beast Greg. I brought it up again because I keep seeing it mentioned on other "reputable" sites that one should use an XDCam HD timeline but render in ProRes for the scenario I described. This site has a higher percentage rate of correct advice in my experience so I'm going with that.
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #14
Major Player

i beleive (though have not personally tested) that using ProRes422 as the render codec may provide a speed advantage. rather than conforming every render file as MPEG HD the renders are instead encoded as ProRes422.

as I said, I've not tested this, am merely offering it up as a suggestion.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
One reason you may want to not stay with the XDcam format is because it is interframe which isn't as ideally suited to editing as intraframe (prores422). Depending of what you are doing, this could be a factor.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts