Mixing material created by XL-H1 and F-350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing material created by XL-H1 and F-350

Hi,

just wanted to quickly share my thoughts about mixing material from Canon XL H1 HDV and XDCAM HD.

As mentioned by a fellow forum member in an earlier thread on this forum the Canon cameras to my eye seem to be not as sharp as the XDCAM. For that reason you would have to bring detail level down on the xdcam hd to mix it with the hdvīs. Colour matching in post was possible and not a problem at all. However, noise was an issue and the XDCAM HD is far less noisy than the XL H1 to my eye. Also, I had a few hot pixels on the XL H1īs. The black balance button seems to be well hidden on the XL H1. I just couldnīt find it and was wondering whether there actually was the possibility of black balancing on that camera. Havenīt had any hot pixel issues on my XDCAM since I started doing black balance more often:-)
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Emanuel. What I did, Prior to shooting, was matching the camera's via their presets. Both the XDCAM as the XL H1 have excellent control about whatever you want. So in post I had to do almost no color correction or whatsoever.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Vincent,

sure. Did the same prior to shoot but still had to correct a bit. The XDCAM had too much saturation or better...the XLH1 didnīt have enough saturation. Also the black levels were a bit different. But not a problem at all.

However, the hot pixel issue on the XL H1 worried me a bit concerning possible future shoots. Is there a way to black balance?
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Emanuel, best u ask the guys in XL-H1 forum about this.

We've been matching H1 n F350, in post, not in camera. Cameras using default cine preset (cine4 in F350, with lowsat cine matrix)

Yes, the H1 got lots of noise. We got rid of them in grading process using hardware noise reducer in Digital Magic HK.

Matched nicely. Of course, F350s depth, sharpness n lattitude is way better than H1. Yet ordinary viewers will not notice.
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts