CF recording issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old June 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
New Boot

CF recording issue

Hi!

I have one issue when recording to CF - when I press stop recording my CF continues recording for about 2 secs of vide?
Also, EVERY HDV clip from CF , when I import it into PREMIERE have green bars at first 2-3 frames. When I play it in media player it seems to be normal.
Card is SONY 8Gb, 300x speed.
Slobodan Milivojevic Bobansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I noticed the same effect. The CF-card records about 2 secs after the tape has topped. I have the 'beep' on for 'end of recording' and when I record on the CF-card, I even hear the beep in the recorded audio. That is not a disaster, but this means extra work in editing, to remove the 'beeps' at each end of a clip. Or is it a faulty setting of some kind?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #3
Trustee

It is because the memory buffer takes time to write the image file to the CF unit, it is also longer if you have cache recording enabled.

Hope this helps.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Cf card and green lines

mine has always done it, Adobe CS2 want even play it without crashing, CS3 will play it fine, sometime if I go frame by frame I can see the last of the last shot blended in the next shot like a dissolve with green, red and digital blocks. I've tried taking longer pauses between shots but still does it but not as much. I have a 16GB & 32GB Transcend cards 133X. I sent my card in with my camera when Sony wanted me to send it in for auto focus repair. They got the same thing with my card but told me to only use 300x cards as their Sony 300x didn't do this when they used it on my camera. I'm glad I didn't buy the 300X yet as your having the same trouble. I can't get my free 300X from Sony as I threw my box aweay and need the UPC sticker that was on the box. The card is fine on the long runs during a ceremony but I get the digital blocks during fast shots durring getting ready and photo sessions stuff. I only edit with tape and don't waste my time with the CF footage. Funny when I play them and watch them through the camera LCD there are no glitches???
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I know this is an old thread, but I can't find any solution to this problem. I am also having this problem even with the Sony 8gb 300x card. This only happens when recording in HDV. In downconverted DV, it works fine. I can even see the freezing last frame in a clip when playing back on the camera. I think Sony needs a firmware update to fix this problem.

Anybody try their CF recorder in HDV mode?

Jun
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Trustee

Use both of mine on the S270 and Z7 in HDV mode all the time.

You will always get a few frames of corrupted footage at the start and just see this like the tape/film coming up to speed.

In the old days this is why the clapperboard was put on so that there was enough camera run up before a take, the camera operator would always shout SPEED to indicate that the camera is running in sync and then STEADY once ready for the action. Its not as critical these days but a certain amount of discipline is still required as you will never get every frame useable on any format.

If you need doco run and gun type shooting you need to use cache recording to buffer the video before you hit the rec button but the camera will still have a couple of frames of junk as it comes up to speed.

As said you will also always get the rec light on for up to 2 secs after stopping as the camera empties its ram buffer to the card writer, this is for all digital cameras inc stills and until the cards get mega fast it will always happen and is not a fault.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM   #7
Major Player

This is nothing to do about buffer. I owned an HVX200a a while ago and I don't have any problem. What I am getting is a corrupt file at the end of a clip(green or red video), not in the beginning. As I said, this is only happening in HDV mode out to firewire, in DV mode, all clips are fine. If you have a Z7 camcorder, try to record in HDV mode in the CF recorder and you will see what I am talking about.

If you are happy with a corrupt file in every clip, I am not because I'm shooting an events of more than 100 video clips on a 32gb cf card and I don't want to edit every clip, it's more time consuming than capturing a tape.

I hope Sony will fix it with a firmware update!

Jun
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I use Vegas to edit and find the scripts useful for fixing this. I can run a script and have a certain number of frames cut off the back (or front) end of all the clips at once. I find that lopping off three frames from the tail end seems to fix this for the most part.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #9
New Boot

Sandisk 32GB CF card dropout

Hi - just got 2 S270's last week and used on a shoot Saturday. I used a DV-184 tape and a Sandisk 32GB CF card in each camera, recording HDV to tape and SD to card simultaneously. I experienced a huge dropout of approx 40 frames on the tape and on the card at another point in time there is a frame or 2 dropout - I am devastated! All I have heard from web, tutorials and forums etc is "GO TAPELESS AND FORGET DROPOUT". Not so apparently! I am exchanging the camera for another tomorrow, and am also looking for a supplier of 16GB or preferably 32GB Sony cards, however I cannot find any. Any suggestions welcome please.......! Thanks in advance
John Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harding View Post
Hi - just got 2 S270's last week and used on a shoot Saturday. I used a DV-184 tape and a Sandisk 32GB CF card in each camera, recording HDV to tape and SD to card simultaneously. I experienced a huge dropout of approx 40 frames on the tape and on the card at another point in time there is a frame or 2 dropout - I am devastated! All I have heard from web, tutorials and forums etc is "GO TAPELESS AND FORGET DROPOUT". Not so apparently! I am exchanging the camera for another tomorrow, and am also looking for a supplier of 16GB or preferably 32GB Sony cards, however I cannot find any. Any suggestions welcome please.......! Thanks in advance
Can't help other than to say that, using two Z7s, all I have experienced is the occasional corruption at the start of CF clips for two or frames when recording very soon after the previous clip. This is recording HD on tape and card, cache recording disabled and using Transcend 32Gb x133 CF.

I am only a few miles from you so if you want to contact me to test cards etc feel free.

Hedley
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #11
New Boot

CF card dropout issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Wright View Post
Can't help other than to say that, using two Z7s, all I have experienced is the occasional corruption at the start of CF clips for two or frames when recording very soon after the previous clip. This is recording HD on tape and card, cache recording disabled and using Transcend 32Gb x133 CF.

I am only a few miles from you so if you want to contact me to test cards etc feel free.

Hedley
Thanks Hedley - I am receiving a replacement S270 tomorrow and hope it was that particular camera and NOT a problem I will ever face again - I have been using Sandisk cards (I always thought they were the best?) and couldn't find a 16GB or 32GB Sony CF card anywhere. I will have to see how I get on with the new unit and might take you up on your kind offer if I need to. I am also looking into the possibility of a firmware update if such a thing exists? Perhaps you would e-mail me on studio@moving-memories.com to swap details? Thanks again
John Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders