Z7-MRC1 CF download time to PP CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Z7-MRC1 CF download time to PP CS3

FWIW. I shot a 59+ minute program today using the MRC1 on the Z7. From the time I took the card out of the MRC1 until all of the footage was in Premier Pro CS3 and ready to edit took less than 19 minutes. Not bad.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Major Player

What speed card and how are you transferring?? (You know, just little details...)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I was using a Transcend 300x 16 gig card. My computer is an Intel 2.4 quad, 2 gig of ram, 400 gig har drive. Pretty much the way it came out of the box. I added a 1 TB drive just for video. Nothing really special. I copied the video directly on to the 1 TB hard drive. That was about 11 gigs of data. I opened PP CS3 and told it to import the files from the hard drive. PP did it's thing with conforming and indexing and it was ready to edit in less than 19 minutes from start to finish. Actually it may have been even less because I didn't just sit there and watch it run. I was doing something else on another computer while this was going on. I don't know how soon I noticed it, after the copy process was completed. Ditto on the conforming and indexing process.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Ahhhh 300x.... yeah, my 133x Transcends are good, but copying is almost realtime which is annoying... might need to splash out I think.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Ahhhh 300x.... yeah, my 133x Transcends are good, but copying is almost realtime which is annoying... might need to splash out I think.
If your 133x is near real time I think it is more your card reader than the card speed.

I use FCP, but picked up a Lexar FW 800 card reader & I can notice a speed boost vs the FW 400. (I have both 133x & 300x cards).

The few all-in-one USB card readers I've tried are a joke. They work great for my still camera file transfers, but the Z7 video just is too slow.

When I've timed clips going into FCP w/ a 300x card & the FW 800 reader, I've gotten aprox 4x real time (or is it 0.25x real time? how would you say 4min transfered in 1min real time?).
Zach Love is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders