lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ?

I just lost the plastic lens cap for my Sony VCLHG0737C. I read the spec., the diameter is 71.2mm, I can't find any cap that would fit the lens. Please let me know if you have any solution for my need.
TIA
Dustin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Whenever I lose a lens cap, I go to a large grocery store and am always able to find some plastic container that has a lid that fits. Sometimes, I find one that's better than the one that came with the lens.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I thought of suggesting something similar as well and yesterday tried a plastic (food) can lid on my Sony wideangle out of curiosity (I have the same WA.)

Unfortunately it was about 1/4 too small.... but if they are available in different sizes that should work well.

Whatever you find, take care it does not touch the surface of the glass (just about 2-3mm in from the rim) for fear of scratching!
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just checked and found the front lens cover at: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco.../web/index.jsp

Put in the model number (VCLHG0737C) in the search window with Model Number selected under options, you'll get a return of available accessories. There's two lens cover, the one listed as CAP, FRONT costs 22.31.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks a lot for all of your helps. I probably buy from Sony. Any thought of making some custom adapter ring to use with the Cavision LH77 lens hood?
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Dustin,

I have done this and it works very well. I used a rubber plumbers fitting that was meant to connect two pipes. It is very elastic black rubber and stretches over the WA. The Cavision LH77 then sits very snuggly over the plumbing fitting. It has never fallen off in two months of use - and the LH77 does not vignette at all. A very good solution - and it even looks like it is a professional fitting. Sometimes you just get lucky with these things.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just stopped by my local store this afternoon, I can't find any rubber fitting that might work with the lens. Would you please take some picture of your lens & and the Cavision LH77 ?
Thank you,
Dustin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Dustin,

I have done this and it works very well. I used a rubber plumbers fitting that was meant to connect two pipes. It is very elastic black rubber and stretches over the WA. The Cavision LH77 then sits very snuggly over the plumbing fitting. It has never fallen off in two months of use - and the LH77 does not vignette at all. A very good solution - and it even looks like it is a professional fitting. Sometimes you just get lucky with these things.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For reference there are some pics of my Sony wide angle/HC1 with a Cavision LH77 hood in this thread...albeit without the "additional plumbing feature" discussed above! I'd sure like to see some pictures of this idea too!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115749
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The Cavision LH77 hood looks a little too big for our A1/HC1 cam.
Nice setup by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
For reference there are some pics of my Sony wide angle/HC1 with a Cavision LH77 hood in this thread...albeit without the "additional plumbing feature" discussed above! I'd sure like to see some pictures of this idea too!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115749
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Guys,

Your wish is my command. Please find attached pictures of C lens with plumbing feature attachment. The first picture shows what is left of the plumbing attachment. I cut the rubber ring from the front of it. Other photos show Cavision hood attached. Maybe I should recommend this to Bernie at Cavision - it looks like the rubber fitting is part of the hood - and it never comes off as the rubber sticks very well. Also no vignetting what so ever with this hood and a front filter for the lens (95mm) which allows me to mount a UV or circular polariser as required.

All the best,
Attached Thumbnails
lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ?-img_7367-copy.jpg   lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ?-img_7365-copy.jpg  

lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ?-img_7363-copy.jpg   lens cap for Sony VCLHG0737C ?-img_7361-copy.jpg  

Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

wow, the plumbing attachment looks pretty nice. I've never seen that rubber piece before. Thanks again for the pictures.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm looking at your pics for attaching the lens hood and I still don't grasp the part you used to allow the Cavision lens hood to attach to the SONY VCL-HG0737C w/a lens.

Do you have a name for the fitting you mention as I have one being delivered and want to find a lenshood that works with the lens.
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Tourist

Fitting a Cavision LF77 to a Sony VCL-HG0737C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Do you have a name for the fitting you mention as I have one being delivered and want to find a lenshood that works with the lens.
Those fittings must be a bit larger in Oz. However, I found a way to do it with another fitting that's cheap and easy to find in the US. I used a Garbage Disposal Splash Guard from Ace Hardware (their part number 42179 at $3.79). Pic in package from Ace: http://www.les.biffle.org/lh77/pn42179.jpg

You press its convex side into the LH77 from the lens side: http://www.les.biffle.org/lh77/install1.jpg until flush: http://www.les.biffle.org/lh77/install2.jpg

The "C" lens fits nicely into the concave side, and the set screw clamps down enough to hold it snugly in place: http://www.les.biffle.org/lh77/mated.jpg and http://www.les.biffle.org/lh77/front.jpg

Unless you like freaky, tunnel-vision cross-screen effects, you'll want to trim out the flaps as I did. I marked where the cuts should be made, and took everything apart to do the slicing.

Be sure to ask if you have any questions. I'm buying another "C" lens and hood for my 2nd HC1.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Les Biffle; July 20th, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Change URL of images
Les Biffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Major Player

Go figure in a town of 150,000 that there's not a single ACE hardware in the area.

I've got the lenshood en route from B&H andno way to attach it.

I wonder if this is generic enough to find at any hardware store - any ideas???
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #15
Tourist

Give me an address, and I'll buy and ship you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Go figure in a town of 150,000 that there's not a single ACE hardware in the area.

I've got the lenshood en route from B&H andno way to attach it.

I wonder if this is generic enough to find at any hardware store - any ideas???
I'm Les at biffle dot org. Send me an address, and I'll be your personal shopper. It would be my pleasure to send you one. I'll even cut out the finger thingies for you. Your website has provided enough entertainment to offset this. *grin*

My son says I should be making these and selling them on eBay for 10 bucks. I know I would have paid that for a solution. If someone else wants to, I'll help you get started.

-Les
Les Biffle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series