Tape door stuck! Any ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Tourist

Tape door stuck! Any ideas?

My A1u's tape door won't retract into the camera... I can insert a tape and close the door but then it does not retract into the body of the cam. I've tried it with different batteries and with AC power. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!
Iain McGlashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've had this problem a few times with my FX1, and the tape transport sections should be the same. What I do is press very firmly on the center top of the inner door, not where they say press but right beside it. Sometimes that works. I do it a few times to loosen everything up and the problem goes away.

They specifically warn you not to try to press the whole tray/carriage into the machine, so make sure you don't do that.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Tourist

Adam,

Thank you for your response. I've pressed and wiggled the door every which way and it just does not seem to respond... I guess I have to send it to Sony. Thanks
Iain McGlashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't try to intimidate a malfunctioning tape transport or load system into working again. There will be a good reason why it is not working. Dried out lube, dust, grit, blade of grass even. Maybe tape door closed on the load-in sequence before it had completed.

If you manage to get it working randomly, it is an indication it is repairable. Perservere with it and you may burn out a motor and its power supply path. Let the man who should know all get inside and repair it and service and clean the tape path while he is at it.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for the reply Bob, I sent the cam to "the man who should know all" for some TLC. Hope to have it back soon! Thanks.
Iain McGlashan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series