Focal Length of the HVR-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Tourist

Focal Length of the HVR-A1

Hi,

Is there a way to determine the focal Length of the A1?

We are doing a shoot with two Z1's and two A1's.

We will be shooting using a 50mm focal length on the Z1's and I would like to match up the A1's as well as they will be used for continuity shots in tight locations.

There doesn't seem to be any functions to either set it to 50mm or to show the focal length on the display.
Darren McNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Just looked at the manual for this - and it looks like you have to guess, but you're somewhere between 41-480mm in widescreen, and 50-590 in 4:3. Perhaps you can calibrate the zoom scales so you know roughly what each notch corresponds to?
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Kino-Eye

I've been shooting with an HVR-A1 and mixing shots w/ other Sony cameras that I borrow from time to time and AFAIK there is no way to know exactly what the lens focal length is set to on the A1. My solution to the problem: shoot a different focal length and don't worry about matching, not always an option, I know, however, since the A1 looks so different than the Z1 or V1, for best results use it for alternative shots that are OK if they look different than what you're shooting with other cameras. For critical shot, reverse-shot work, two identical cameras will save you lots of grief in post trying to match cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series