HC1 never ceases to amaze me at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Major Player

HC1 never ceases to amaze me

This little camera has served me extremely well and under good light performs exceptionally.

Here is our latest clip.

LIFE! on Vimeo

We own an EX1 and this little camera keeps surprising us with it's quality!

Cheers.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, John . . .

I was hoping to view your Vimeo clip shot with the HC1, but it appears to have been taken down.

I have also been amazed at the quality that the HC1 (and A1U) offer for the cost, size and for being first generation Sony HD camcorders. We have three HC1's we use, and all have been great - except we (like others) are lately getting the condensation "error" warning and shutdown with two of the three units.

After owning the HC1's we then added two Sony V1U's. They were third rate compared to the sharp footage from the HC1's. Sony had to admit there are problems with the V1's - so they replaced our cameras with two Z7U's ... and they too were BAD. Both Z7U's had back focus problems. Sony had egg on their face when at a meeting to resolve the problem, a replacement was offered by top-level management that had back-focus issues also. At this late date, the only HD cameras that have worked and focused flawlessly, without major Sony support, are the little HC1's.

It's interesting that Sony still offers the A1 (the pro version of the HC1) as part of their "pro" line up. In good light the saturation, colour, exposure, sharpness looks better to me than what Sony's more expensive "pro" cameras can capture.

Other than low-light performance, Sony sure got it right with this litttle gem.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ian,

Agree with everything you say. My HC1 regularly outperforms my FX1 in good light. Poor light is another matter.

Here is the link to the clip!

Breathe on Vimeo

Cheers.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Campbell View Post
Hi, John . . .

I was hoping to view your Vimeo clip shot with the HC1, but it appears to have been taken down.

I have also been amazed at the quality that the HC1 (and A1U) offer for the cost, size and for being first generation Sony HD camcorders. We have three HC1's we use, and all have been great - except we (like others) are lately getting the condensation "error" warning and shutdown with two of the three units.

After owning the HC1's we then added two Sony V1U's. They were third rate compared to the sharp footage from the HC1's. Sony had to admit there are problems with the V1's - so they replaced our cameras with two Z7U's ... and they too were BAD. Both Z7U's had back focus problems. Sony had egg on their face when at a meeting to resolve the problem, a replacement was offered by top-level management that had back-focus issues also. At this late date, the only HD cameras that have worked and focused flawlessly, without major Sony support, are the little HC1's.

It's interesting that Sony still offers the A1 (the pro version of the HC1) as part of their "pro" line up. In good light the saturation, colour, exposure, sharpness looks better to me than what Sony's more expensive "pro" cameras can capture.

Other than low-light performance, Sony sure got it right with this litttle gem.

Ian
Well my hc-1 had recently gave up and after a new lcd last year i decided not to have the tape mechanism that was needed and sold it for some,one else to get repaired, i did like the on cam controls this basicaly consumer cam had but i was never impressed with the PQ my fx 7 is far sharper with better color as is the canon hv 30 i have bought to replace the hc1.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Major Player

I love this cam. The A1 (I never had the pleasure of the HC1) is a little champ. In good light it produces beautiful images. And it’s so small I can walk in crowds, like below, and no one bats an eye, even when the mic pod is attached. This little “client review clip” was a shot at a tourist hotspot and there was a guy with some kind of pany hvx-ish cam there as well. People were just flocking/gawking around him. I was thankfully left alone!

Its not as sharp as its bigger peers but i still bring it out all the time!

Low light sucks, and I've been spoiled by the 5DMKII but its still is good cam quite cheap nowadays! I paid just over 1500USD for it!

Shanghai Old Street Footage on Vimeo
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Trustee

John, that was absolutely awesome. Very well done. One of my favorite pieces of music too, from IMO the greatest album of all time.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the kind comments!

Agree, Pink Floyd and this track are awesome. I wanted to make the clip even longer to get to the vocals, but I may have stretched it to far already,lol!

On a sidenote, it was filmed around roger taylors property, the drummer from queen! There is even a glimpse of his property in one of the shots at the helford river.

Cheers.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #8
New Boot

Hc1

Hi,

Beautiful pictures, the music is great also. I would have loved to ear a bit of the natural sound to .... but it is not a negative comment on my part. I know that in order to blend and unify everything, it is much harder with the different nature background sound but it is sometimes an added dimension in itself. But between a mix of the ocean and the forest or the garden, it is not easy to balance all that, particularly with a narrator on top.

Question : I have had trouble with my HC1 on large panoramics in the forest for example, with the details in the picture ... is it better to set up the details in the menu to none or to bring it up .... ?

As far as close-ups this camera has a very sharp image but on a larger scale pictures .... any thoughts on that anyone. I appreciate your comments on that. Thanks you.

Andre
Andre Bisson II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series