LCD touch screen dead help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Chris -

I think there isa calibration menu buried somewhere in the menu system - I know I've seen it on my other small Sonys.... of course it probably won't help...

It's not Sony exclusive fail point (others have reported similar failures in other brands on other parts of DVi), it's simply a result of having an articulated screen - if it gets moved around enough, eventually it will start to fail, like any other moving part.

If you poke around DVi you'll find some pictures of a cameras stripped down with the cable showing (I think it was a JVC?). it's not the easiest job to replace the cable, but it's not rocket science either (more like a Origami 301 final exam, from a psychotic professor!).

It TYPICALLY will be the ribbon cable that goes (some of the traces break on the flex cable/board), but as Fred noted, he had a similar "fail", that was the result of different parts going with age.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Good Repair facility for LCD flex ribbon failure?

This forum has been very helpful in diagnosing my HDR-HC1 problem....a broken flex cable to my LCD/touch screen. After searching the forum I eventually ended up being directed to a site where I was able to download the service manual. The service manual has a section "Supplement 1 and 2 etc. The flex cable issue sounds like it is a very common problem. The supplements shows additional solutions to the problem by the use of adhesive tape at critical points, folding the flex cable properly etc.
My question is does anyone know of a repair facility that is going to repair the flex cable problem according to the service manual? In other words a triple AAA repair facility?
I love this little camera and want to give it another chance. However, I also realize there is a monetary limit that makes sense. I haven't tried Sony yet but fear their bill to repair it may be "over the top".
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Guy -
Well, aside from the cable folding being an exercise in origami, it's not that terribly dificult - IIRC the supplements are to help explain the way the folds and sticky tape on the part are supposed to be done - it's not easy, but not impossible either, having done a couple now...

As far as I have been able to tell, there's not a way to really "reinforce" the part - it's just a cable that is flexible, and you can only get so many "flexes" out of it before it begins to fail. OR, if somehow the hinge motion is exceeded, it's an instant fail.

You've got the SM, the part's about $25, if you can't find a place to do it at a reasonable price, set up a nice clean work area and get a set of jeweler screwdrivers... if you like a little DIY, you might enjoy it!
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Wouldn't be great if someone did a video of the repair. I'd pay for that.
Instructions in print are much better than nothing but a video showing the whole process would probably make it look a lot simpler. Most reasonably handy persons could probably do it themselves if they saw it being done.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The next time one crosses my path, I'll have to remember to set up video. I always shoot stills as I go so I don't end up with parts left over... printed instructions are great, but as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words...

I guess that makes every second of video worth 30,000!
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #21
Regular Crew

If I can't find a repair facility or the cost of the work is too high, I might try it myself and take a video of the process. The part is only $25.
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #22
Major Player

I haven't check this thread since I posted. I'm glad folks dug it up. My camera has gotten worse. Now I get weird static lines but can still press touchscreen when folded back. My colleague has the same camera, her screen first turned green but now is completely blacked out and touchscreen doesn't work even when folded back.

I just got a chunk of change for repairs. Question is try to get the $25 part and repair it myself or send it in to mack cam for $45 for estimate per camera or use these cameras as decks and put that money towards something else.

My camera already went through one $500 repair from sony (which took a whole month and they stole my memory card). As much as I adore this camera, maybe it's time to retire it.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I contacted Sony in Canada and they will "Fastrack" fix it for $375 (plus taxes...atrocious here in Canada) and shipping, unless I drop it off at a Sony Store then the shipping is free. There is a proper way to do the repair so I am hoping it will be done correctly if I go ahead.

I am in the same boat as far as trying to decide on whether it is worth the money and the risk (something else may fail). However this little camera is very similar to an A1. It doesn't have DVcam but who cares about that. I have purchased the A1 lens hood with the retractable shutter, a Panansonic DV 30 eyepiece which makes it great for outdoor shooting (I wear glasses) and an extra battery that lasts 5 hrs.

I could probably part it out on Ebay but then what would I replace it with?
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Major Player

There's several canon vixia in the $500 range with better image quality. What it lacks are XLR and some minor firmware features. A more direct replacement would something like the panasonic hmc40 or jvc hm100. After getting a 5D2, both these cameras seem overpriced and most small sensor cameras loss my interest. I put off buying another video camera unless it has large sensor which leaves only the sony vg10 and pana af100 as of now.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #25
Inner Circle

That's the big challenge for "aging" cameras... the technology has moved very quickly, and when the cost of repairs is quite high, you have to look around at alternatives, or figure out how to "DIY" if the repair is simple enough.

There are lots of people (myself included) that are pretty happy with Sony's current "top of the consumer line" CX550V, worth a look if you have a computer that is fast enough to process AVCHD. They have a "pro" version, the MC50, although it really doesn't have any "pro" features added over the CX550, other than a bigger battery, lens hood and a mic/mount.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #26
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Re: LCD touch screen dead help!

Hello

I just did it myself.
Pretty easy...
See images

http://www.flykam.com.au/SonyA1/a1.jpg

http://www.flykam.com.au/SonyA1/a2.jpg

http://www.flykam.com.au/SonyA1/a3.jpg

http://www.flykam.com.au/SonyA1/a4.jpg
Paul Wags is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series