A1U with pixel-shift? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1U with pixel-shift?

Maybe I overlooked this in the forums here, but Sony's Pro site highlights the HVR-A1U with a "resolution of 1440x1080 with pixel shift". How is pixel shift possible with only one sensor? I thought the A1U used a real 1440 x 1080 pixel sensor (unlike the Z1U's 960x1080 CCDs with pixel shift).

Also, what's this rumor about an A2U coming out in a couple of months?

Last edited by Xander Christ; October 24th, 2005 at 08:41 PM.
Xander Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The single chip is actually above 1920*1080 in resolution, so why would they need it?

It is possible to do pixel shift from a 1 chip, if you read out groups of binned (combined) pixels of each colour out shifted from each other. But for accuracy this needs to be at least 3*3 bins of pixels, which adds up to exactly the resolution you started with. It may be better for low light. If you go to 2*2 bin, you get less accuracy. But because they only need 1440*1080, maybe there is some special pixel binning process.

A2U, where did you hear that, that would be interesting?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There is no way an A2U is coming out anytime soon. The A1U was released a little over a month ago.

I think you have taken it too literally when reading Paul Chun's post:

"I'm on the fence with this one and I like the small size and the ability to record in HDV without attracting too much attention if I take off the XLR box. I just don't want to purchase this camera now and 2 months from now Sony comes out with the A2U with the top loading cassette mechanism and some new cool features. Help me make up my mind... suggestions??? Should I buy and not have any remorse?"

I'm sure he was being sarcastic.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series