Z1U and A1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Z1U and A1U

I am about to switch from SD to HD and my plan is to purchase a ZIU as my A camera and an A1U as a B camera and as a playback deck to FCP. (I thought about the FX1 as the B cam but would like to save the money). However, the AIU is not listed in the FCP compatibility list. Anyone have any input on this plan? Thanks. JimT
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Jim,

I have the A1 and the Z1. THey work well together - complementary almost in that the Z1 is a great primary cam, whilst the A1 gets into places the Z1 can't. The image quality of both is great - but the Z1 has the edge. They do however intercut well.

Can't comment on FCP - I use "Avid" Liquid.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Jim,

The HC1 is listed but not the A1U. I would think that if one works, the other would as well.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Jim,

The HC1 is listed but not the A1U. I would think that if one works, the other would as well.
I have the A1 and use FCP 5 to edit with no problems. Apple simply has not updated their information.
dkane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I was talking with a salesperson here in LA and he said I would be better off with a playback deck instead of using the A1 with FCP--the heads are "sensitive" he says and would wear down quickly. Sounds to me like he is just trying to sell me the deck that is a lot more expensive than the A1. Anyone hear anything about the A1 heads being overly susceptible to wear? I have been using a similar set up for SD (GL1 and ZR80) with great success….but then those are Canon cameras. Thanks. JimT
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have A1, which I use both as a camera and as a deck. Previously, I had PDX-10. From what I learned, the tape mechanism on pro Sony cameras is very good, therefore you really don't need the deck.

One thing to consider though. The deck is easier to operate - to set up, to plug in, etc. so it's always ready. With the camera, you have to unpack, to plug in, to set up the menu every time you need to use it. In other words, if you run tapes daily, you might be better off with the deck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series