Sound/Mics for HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 8th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Sound/Mics for HC1

Hi

I have the HDR-HC1 camera and have tried it with the Rode Videomic but it picks up the camera motor sound plus every other little unwanted sound. I want to use this camera for recording mainly interviews. But have found it most unsatisfactory with this mic.

Has anyone found a solution to this sound problem without spending a fortune? If anyone has any other options or solutions, please let me know.

I gather I can get an XLR adapter and another mic for a total of around $750
but would really prefer to know if there are any other cheaper options.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey
Tracey Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Camera Motor Noise

To totally get the motor noise out of your audio, you are gonna need to get the mic away from the camera. If you are mainly using it for interviews, try using a lapel mic or take your rode videomic and mount it on something else away from the camera. I've had a lot of luck with that last method.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Tracey - see my other post on this issue today in another thread.
I have posted a link there (and here now..) to a product that will solve 90% of the noise problem you have :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The other two options are these:
1) Stop using the mic on AUTO. Use it on manual instead and reduce the levels via this method.
2) You can buy an attenuator cable to use between the Videomic and the camera. This will effectively reduce the sensiticity of the mic which some people find a problem.
Another poster on this board (can't remember who) used to recommend this site for purchasing a mic attenuator cable :
http://www.microphonemadness.com/

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Stu

I actually have the same bracket which I mount the Videomic on, but amazingly enough, the motor noise is still too loud. And I have tried the mic on manual, but still have the problem.

I like the idea of the attenuator cable though. I think I'll give that a go! Thanks.

Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Tracey - see my other post on this issue today in another thread.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
rgds
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Evan,

I think you are right about having to move this mic far far away from the cam. Looks like I'll have to get an extension cable and then I'll use it in conjuntion with Stu's suggestion of the attenuator cable. Thanks.

Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Dowling
To totally get the motor noise out of your audio, you are gonna need to get the mic away from the camera. If you are mainly using it for interviews, try using a lapel mic or take your rode videomic and mount it on something else away from the camera. I've had a lot of luck with that last method.
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

has anyone tried one of these on the hc1?http://www.microphonemadness.com/pro...mmflgommio.jpg
Chaz Kempter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have many test's with the hc1 made also similarly such microphones. unfortunately the microphone socket is not very high-quality (mechanics) in the hc1 and something movement leads to a loud cracks.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Wolfgang, can you put the tests of HC1, from the old site somewhere. I would be interesting seeing them back on.I check it on you new site, but much info is missing from the old one.Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alin Avramoni View Post
Wolfgang, can you put the tests of HC1, from the old site somewhere. I would be interesting seeing them back on.I check it on you new site, but much info is missing from the old one.Thanks.
my webspace is only 1GB..... sorry.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for reply. I know that industry calls you :), could you share with me the old review of HC1 via email, maybe, if I don't ask too much?
Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Go down to the bottom of the thread that is on this link and read my own solution to operating noises that were picked up by my internal and external mikes on an HC9.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112684

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; July 12th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series