A1 shoe on HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Major Player

A1 shoe on HC1

Is there any way to convert the flash on the HC1 to the A1 shoe? I'm willing to sacrifice the flash since I never use it anyway. Can any A1 users shed some lights on how that shoe is mounted on there and how difficult it'd be to convert it?

Btw, I've tried making an adapter for the AIS shoe but it's still not very stable. Also tried an extended shoe connects via tripod mount and didn't like that very much either.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No.. other than trying something home-made like you have done.

Mark
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Everyone has the same issue with the HC1.

People either have to buy AIS-fit accessories (v annoying)
OR
build your own adaptor to fit into AIS to convert to normal cold-shoe (several people have done this)
OR buy an A1 and then you have a cold-shoe to bolt on almost anything you want.

I'm very surprised no 3rd-party company hasn't yet manufactured a little plastic/metal converter to change AIS to cold-shoe. Maybe they have and we just don't know about it..
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Major Player

I dunno if it is even possible to make a stable adapter to fit the AIS shoe (for big accessories anyway). I took apart the sony 3 watt light to create a shoe but that turned out less stable than the piece of metal I filed down to fit the shoe. That's the reason why I wanted to convert the flash to the A1 shoe. I asked because I was hoping I can order the A1 parts from sony and maybe unscrew the flash and put the new shoe on.
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Major Player

EASY & Cheap Sony AIS Shoe Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee
I dunno if it is even possible to make a stable adapter to fit the AIS shoe (for big accessories anyway). I took apart the sony 3 watt light to create a shoe but that turned out less stable than the piece of metal I filed down to fit the shoe. That's the reason why I wanted to convert the flash to the A1 shoe. I asked because I was hoping I can order the A1 parts from sony and maybe unscrew the flash and put the new shoe on.
Hey everyone... I looked the net over and found a few designs on this, so I made my own and it only cost around $15 and the first one I made took about an hour and the 2nd took about 15 minutes. The first one I had to think out how I was going to do it...

I'm not advertising anything here, but on my website, I have a page with pictures and instructions on how to do this. Visit: www.jcdv.com/shoeadapter.htm Very simple and sturdy. It held a Bescor light with the 6 volt battery very well. Good luck!
Jerome Cloninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Is there any way to convert the flash on the HC1 to the A1 shoe? I'm willing to sacrifice the flash since I never use it anyway. Can any A1 users shed some lights on how that shoe is mounted on there and how difficult it'd be to convert it?

Btw, I've tried making an adapter for the AIS shoe but it's still not very stable. Also tried an extended shoe connects via tripod mount and didn't like that very much either.
A gentleman in Canada made up one for me for $45 (sounds high, but that includes $20 for the basic part, labor to mod it and postage to the USA).

He used a piviting (front-to-back) German-made cold shoe adapter, in which the bottom shoe (which is plastic, thus no fear of shorting out the AIS socket) is cut to an "I" shape and part of the base is relieved so that you can insert it into the AIS socket, press down and slide forward. It's very nice without any play in the socket.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Major Player

I appreciate all the different adapters that people are coming up with and I'm very glad that you're satisfied with the results. However, I think I've given up on the AIS shoe. I still use the adapter I've made even though I'm not totally satisfied with it.

I think at some point I might use JB weld to attach a coldshoe to the flash. I'm considering buying the A1 XLR block also so it'd be good to keep the AIS free. Of course I'd have to confirm that all the HC1 firmware works with that first but that's another story.

Thanks for all the effort.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
I appreciate all the different adapters that people are coming up with and I'm very glad that you're satisfied with the results. However, I think I've given up on the AIS shoe. I still use the adapter I've made even though I'm not totally satisfied with it.
In my case, one of the things I'm looking for is "options". The adapter I got fits perfectly, i.e., I am satisfied, so if I am NOT using an AIS product, then I can mount a cold-shoe light or mic right on and in the center of the HC1.

If I do want to use an AIS product, then I can off-load the non-AIS mic or light to a BESCOR cold shoe adapter/handle.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Jerome.

Nice job showing and explaining. I've been considering a Rode Videomic, but didn't want to sacrifice my tripod mounting ability to use one. Have you tried one on it?

Looks like a good workaround.

Jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series