Using A1U for long, long walk documentary - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Kazimir
They've got universal plug adaptors, for instance: http://traveloasis.com/plugadapters6.html

I'll carry one, but I may also have a small solar panel with me to trickle-charge my batteries as I walk.

Lee
What solar panel are you planning on using? I'd be interested to know, as i may be doing a project where i'm away from power for 4-5 days straight.
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Stu,

Thanks a lot for your long and thorough response. Here are some comments on your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
my recommensations :
- I bought a cheap Slik tripod in Australia. Had to be light, compact. It is.
I cannot remember the name of it (it's in another country at the moment) but it was about 60dollars (US dollars). It has served me well.
Take a look at Sprint mini :
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss3.html
I went with the Sprint Mini. Didn't like the idea of buying a tripod over the internet but if it turns out I don't like it I'll just buy a different one and I'm only out $60. I liked that the Mini was lightweight and had a ball head. I did not like that it was only extendable to about 4 feet, but I think I'll be able to live with that.

Quote:
- GPS : YES 100% definitely. I use Garmin etrex Vista all the time.
Still giving thought to this. For awhile I was determined not to use one, as I thought it might "diminish" the project, but it seems like it could quite literally be a lifesaver at some point. I love all the things it does. In a way it's not all that much different from using maps.

Quote:
SOCKS: boring i know, but get double-skin socks. inner layer sticks to foot, outer layer sticks to shoe, 2 socks rub, NOT your skin. stops blisters. You will see. Shoes i will personally recommend Asics Gel Kayano or Nike Air. They're both tough, light, breathable, flexible.
http://www.1000mile.co.uk/1000milesocks.htm
Thanks, I'll look at those more closely.

Quote:
External mic : yes 100% get one.
Absolutely. Actually I dropped some decent cash on microphones: a Rode NTG-1 for primary shotgun mic, and two Countryman B3 lavaliers for interviews/monologues/ambient stereo sound. Also bought a Rycote softie and pistol grip for wind protection.

Quote:
TAPES & BATTERIES: take lots.
I've got three QM91Ds, which I think should be enough. That should give me about three days of shooting without charging before I'm without juice. If I do go with the Solar Panel, that should never ever happen.

Quote:
Backpack is obviously critical. i like macpac. I have Macpac Genesis. very tough, water resistant, well-made, good reputation, intelligent design.
Take as little as you can.
I'm looking seriously at the Osprey Waypoint 80. Seems like a tough pack, holds 80 litres, and perhaps best of all, it opens like a duffel bag, so I don't have to worry about taking all my stuff out to get at something that's at the bottom of the bag.

Quote:
Knife: Buy a really good multi-tool / knife. I have Leatherman Charge Ti. It's not cheap but i use it literally almost every day. Fixing things, cutting things, mending stuff. amazing what you can do with a very good penknife or multi-tool. Leatherman Wave are almost as good and cheaper than Charge Ti.
http://www.leatherman.com/
http://www.leatherman.com/products/t...Ti/default.asp
I'll have to look into that. Would probably help a lot.

Quote:
recommend you go on a test trip for maybe a week fully-kitted out. The lessons you will learn in that week will make your longer trip much more enjoyable and a better experience.
I don't have time for a weeklong trip. (Leaving for Europe in about a month.) But I will try a few day trips or perhaps a weekend one fully-kitted.

Thanks again for your helpful advice and be sure and pitch in again if you have more thoughts!

Lee
Lee Kazimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OKeefe
What solar panel are you planning on using? I'd be interested to know, as i may be doing a project where i'm away from power for 4-5 days straight.
I haven't done enough research yet to be able to say anything on the matter. I was looking at the products at http://www.icpsolar.com/4105/portabl...r_charging.asp but again, have no idea if they'll be good enough for what I want yet.

Lee
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
If you get something like the spiderbrace you could carry it on your shoulder for probably an infinite amount of time.
I took a look at this on the web. Seems pretty handy. Would be great for getting steadier "handheld". How much does it weigh?
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm not sure but I think it's pvc so it should be extremely lightweight.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #21
Regular Crew

recommend a book

This is a great idea (and great idea for soliciting donations).

I lived in west Ukraine; you better not go there when it's cold!

I'm sure you'll be pelted with advice left and right, but how about keeping the title "Madrid to Kiev". That's a great title.

BTW, here's a book you should read before going (or bring along with you).

Bill Bryson: Walk in the Woods. A comic writer talks about how he planned to walk the entire Appalachian Trail over a three month period. Hilarious and instructive.

My main concern would be about security. (I just got robbed last week and lost $1500 of equipment). Also, the Ukrainian police might treat you strange (but alas, that will be part of the fun!).

rj
Robert Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Robert,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. The reason I am leaving so early in the year is to avoid the Ukraine in late fall or winter, which I am sure is NO FUN.

I have read some of Bryson's stuff, wasn't aware that he wrote about the App. Trail. I hope I have time to look at it before I leave.

Who knows, perhaps I will keep the "Madrid to Kiev" title.

Any advice you have to avoid getting robbed?

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Nagle
This is a great idea (and great idea for soliciting donations).

I lived in west Ukraine; you better not go there when it's cold!

I'm sure you'll be pelted with advice left and right, but how about keeping the title "Madrid to Kiev". That's a great title.

BTW, here's a book you should read before going (or bring along with you).

Bill Bryson: Walk in the Woods. A comic writer talks about how he planned to walk the entire Appalachian Trail over a three month period. Hilarious and instructive.

My main concern would be about security. (I just got robbed last week and lost $1500 of equipment). Also, the Ukrainian police might treat you strange (but alas, that will be part of the fun!).

rj
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #23
Major Player

Is your site down?

I wonder if you should keep a list of video equipment dealers near your chosen route should something happen to whatever you are carrying. It would be bad if a critical part broke along the way with no way to fix or replace it.

edit: sorry, the parenthesis in the URL threw me off, the site works fine.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Jeff,

That's a really good idea. I'll have to get on that. Actually, I was planning on calling Sony's Broadcast division (which services the A1U) and getting their advice about what exactly I should do if something goes wrong with the camera along the way.

Lee
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #25
Regular Crew

He made it

Very nice description here:

http://www.madridtokiev.com/
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Kazimir
Robert,

Any advice you have to avoid getting robbed?

Lee
Sounds trite, but look poor. Not ragged, just look like all your stuff is cheap (think casio watch and no designer anything). Low profile helps, but decent enough looking you don't look like a vagabond and get harrassed by cops either. Thieves look for signs of money and distracted people to victimize.

Some of that duct tape mentioned above should be used covering HDV and Sony logos on the camera. More it looks like a cheap tourist cam, better you will be. Black Duct tape is great for "grunging up" things. Example: Making the lcd finder look like it's held on by duct tape lowers it resale value for the thief big time.

REI.com has a backpack with built in wire cage, helps prevent someone slashing your pack open and grabbing stuff. Gypsies do that. Pack is also helpful 'cause you can padlock it to something while you sleep - good for hostels.

Europe is pretty stupid in they seem to tolerate a lot of petty theft IMO. Should shoot 'em like we do here in Florida (we all got guns). You can expect no help over there, so avoid being a target.

More upbeat - moleskin is wonderful and cheap for blisters. Also you really need to consider barn doors of some kind. I could imagine your sun position won't be optimal and need to control lens flare in ad hoc situation.

Cosider sony's quick chargers too. I bought a cheaper slow charger - I never plug the camcorder into AC power. I'd rather fry the charger if we get a lightning hit/power surge. The quick chargers significantly decrease charge time too.

Rain cover- portabrace's is pretty good.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series