Various Sony HDR-HCx series questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Tourist

Various Sony HDR-HCx series questions

I'd like to get a larger memory stick duo than that supplied with the camcorder.

The non-pro version seems to be 128MB maximum which may be all I need.

However, the pro versions which go up to 2GB, seem to be more cost effective at MB per pound sterling.

My concern is that I download from memory sticks using a Vaio laptop or Video walkman that predate the Pro specification and I'm unsure if they will be compatible

thanks for any advice

Steve
Steven Tomlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Major Player

HC3 manual here >

Here's the new hc3 manual-
http://rapidshare.de/files/11637444/HDR-HC3E.pdf.html
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Tourist

FCP Capture problem

I do think i have a cam. prob. When I try to "Capture Now" in FCP 5, I only get the 4-5 last sec of a clip. Tested both Auto and HDV Out on the cam.
Yes, I do have the correct Easy setup.
The use of AIC works O.K.

Anybody had the same problem ? Anybody hear of other with the same problem.
I have not yet tested the camera on another Mac, nor tested another HDV cam on my Mac.

Best regards, RUNE
Rune Thoresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Hc1

Hey all, I went to Best Buy today for the specific purpose of shooting some footage on the HC1. I brought a DV tape with me and shot footage in the store to compare to my little PVDV953 3Chip. I would have shot in 1080i but I dont have any HDV equipment to play it back on, so I shot in DV. I was a little impressed with this camera. First thing I noticed is that the single 1/3 CMOS has a much shallower DOF than my 3x1/6" Panasonic. I also predict the low light is a bit better (wasnt able to take it outside :-( ) Anyways...I shot some footage in DV mode, manually adjusted exposure and shutter. It is quite a bother to not be able to see what aperture you're shooting at...oh well I guess...Anyways...I am rendering out a 24p DV file right now on my powerbook. I used natress and color correction to see how good of result I can get. One thing to note is the sharpness of this camera...it has quite a sharp image in DV mode. I wished I could have shot 1080i. More to come.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Dear Moderator: Time for a new category??

Think we could get a new category for the HC3, now that that's starting to make its presence felt? How about adjacent to the Sanyo HD1, perhaps as the second entry under Consumer HD?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Post your HDR-HC3 settings

Mine are...
color -1 and sharpness +1
James Nicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Short Effects Clip Shot With HC1

Here is a short effects movie I made. I made it in about an hour, so it could have been much, much better. I made this clip to test out some of my effects. First effect is my blank firing gun (Glock 17) with a silencer. The other effect is the 2 squibs in the dirt. I filmed this using the Sony HDR-HC1. I also tested out my sound effects skills. Tell me what you think about it and I hope you like it.

Here is the video:

http://www.filefactory.com/get/feed/...d019be54a1c545

Right Click, Save Target on "Click here to begin you FTP Download."

Or try this

http://dl029.filefactory.com/get/i.p...319600c082aec1

File Type - MPEG 2
Size - 91.45 MB (Sorry for such a big file size!)
Length - 28 Seconds

P.S. I'm the one wearing the white tank top.

Last edited by Selim Abdullai; May 30th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Tourist

Capture from HDR-HC3

Hi, Everyone
I just got my Sony HC3 and I bought a Firewire cable to transfer video to my computer using Sony software I was able to transfer a 5 min. clip but it shows very washed and in the LCD screen from the camera looks very nice and colorful, I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem ??? I tried using Avid Xpress Pro to capture but I can't it only captures as DV 30i also washed (no much colors)

I have a firewire cable 6pin to 4pin connected to my firewire port in the motherboard (ASUS with 3.2 Ghz P4 dual core Intel Processor), I can use Sony Vegas to capture in 1080i but is also washed very pale!!!! I import the file ti Avid Xpress PRO and use the color correction FX and is amazing!!!

I'm planning to buy Avid Xpress PRO, please give me some opinion!

Thank you
Francisco Caamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #9
New Boot

HC3 Clip: Monkeying Around

Apologies in advance for the cheesy music :)

http://www.bis96gw.f2s.com/video/monkey.wmv

Filesize is about 30Mb, WMV-HD format, Constant 8Mb/s bitrate.

Probably won't be fast enough to stream, so save to disk first.

All done handheld - surprised a monkey didn't jump on me ;)
Gavin Wightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Tourist

Format video for Epson P-5000

I have a Sony HDR-HC1 and edit my video with iMovie HD, and I'm having trouble knowing which format to use when exporting the video to play on an Epson P-5000 Multimedia Storage Viewer. I've tried a few different Quicktime choices using the export feature of iMovie HD but the video ends up looking stretched, or it's choppy, or the resolution is low.

Can anyone recommend the best export settings to use to play my HDR-HC1 videos on an Epson P-5000 Multimedia Storage Viewer?

Ken
Ken Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Trustee

Is there a way to record a movie in cardmode - HC1?

I really like the progressive look of the card mode on the HC1 - is there a way to get it to record movies to the card? I know I can run it into the laptop, but I will have the laptop around...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Tourist

Format video for Epson P-5000

I have a Sony HDR-HC1 and edit my video with iMovie HD, and I'm having trouble knowing which format to use when exporting the video to play on an Epson P-5000 Multimedia Storage Viewer. I've tried a few different Quicktime choices using the export feature of iMovie HD but on the P-5000 the video ends up looking stretched, or it's choppy, or the resolution is low.

Can anyone recommend the best export settings to use to play my HDR-HC1 videos on an Epson P-5000 Multimedia Storage Viewer?

Ken
Ken Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

message deleted

message deleted

bandwidth exceeded

Last edited by Dan Peterson; February 8th, 2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: bandwidth exceeded
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #14
New Boot

where to get an hc7 in LA area?

anyone know where they are available now?
thanks
andy
Andrew Kemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Cinema mode footage

Can someone tell me if "Cinema Mode" or whatever Sony calls it on the HC1 - can it be identified by looking at the file details or by some other tag? IOW, is there a way to know footage was shot using cinema mode other than assuming such by looking at the video? Something like the EXIF data for photos?

Last edited by Paul Nixon; February 12th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series