HELP! - HC1 Poor Red Color Accuracy - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #91
Regular Crew

ha, I guess now everyone is clear about the HC1/A1 red color problem. Bright red does have problems on certain situations. ghosthoughts's picture of mouse led is the typical bad situation for red ...

I do not think there is anything that customers can do for this issue, we can only hope SONY will do something....

Just one thing, how is HC3's performance with mouse led ? hope some HC3 users can provide the information.
Cooleye Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #92
Major Player

Yeah, that's what I was trying to show - the red inaccuracies, not trying to compare the resolution, color balance, lighting, etc. I will, however, try to get another test where both cameras will not being using flash and I'll compare in identical lighting - enough lighting so that it won't stress the low light capabilities of either camera.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #93
Regular Crew

More test images soon...

Hi everyone,

I will today shoot some more images using three cams to compare the color reproduction of HC1. Please remember that these are NOT any laboratory experiments - just comparisons how three different cams behave under similar circumstances...

Within one day or two I will post the results on my web site :)

Christian
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Here is a comparison between a Canon S80, a Sony HVR-A1J and a Sony HC1.

The Canon S80 is an 8m pixel still camera, I have downsized the picture to match the size of the A1J image.

The A1J is using Cinetone type 2 + black stretch, one-push WB on a sheet of paper.

The HC1 is using one-push WB to a sheet of paper (the same one). Note: the HC1 recently (last week) had its sensor replaced due to dust contanimation.

The S80 is using ISO400, slightly reduced exposure, auto white balance. No flash for either camera.

Sony A1J: http://www.villamil.org/photos/DSC00064.JPG

Sony HC1: http://www.villamil.org/photos/DSC06059.JPG

Canon: http://www.villamil.org/photos/IMG_0845.JPG

The results look OK to me, with color on the A1J a bit more saturated, probably due to the Cinetone. The Canon has done a better job of capturing the tone of the tuna.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #95
Major Player

thanks for that Gian.

to me both the A1J and the HC1 (new sensor..) look pretty good and fairly close to the Canon still shot. no it's not the same, (look at the red at the centre of the Japanese flag) but also it looks entirely acceptable.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:02 AM   #96
Tourist

LCD or Monitor

I will be getting my A1 in the coming days. But would like to know if the Red Accuracy shows up on the LCD.

Does the Red problem shows up on the camera's LCD? Or only obvious on Monitors ?

I would hope to search around and look for an A1P that is not "infected".

Thanks
Clive Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #97
Regular Crew

When you're in bright light situations, the color on the LCD gets washed out and it's hard to make critical calls like judging the reds, but yes, I have seen the red problem on the LCD as well.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #98
Major Player

Interesting, I haven't seen it on the LCD/VF at all.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Hi,

I can see the reds problem on the HC1 LCD panel clearly.

I promised to publish more comparison resluts lately. I am sorry fo the delay but I have been travelling. I have, however, made a big effort shooting a video of such objects that should be available around the world. I have used 3 different cams under different lighting conditions - one is the HC1.

After a LOT of thinking I think I found an excellent object to shoot if we want to compare colors - LEGO BRICKS!!!

They are available all around the world, and if you have kids just walk to their rooms for a search. I found many different coloured bricks that make a good colour pallette. To my knowledge all bricks are manufactured at the same location, and are very durable both by themselves but also the colors are very stable.

I will post the promised video shortly. I let you know when.

Christian
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Hc1 Poor Red Color Rendering Solved !!!

HI,

Check the following thread for the story!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55503

Great News !!!

Christian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series