Adam's Custom A1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
I am looking for a nice camera bag / case (I guess I prefer a bag) for my HDR-HC1 with many of the accessoires you are also carrying. I have the HDR-HC1, wide-angle lens, few extra batteries, the cables, a Rode-NTG 2 shotgun microphone, a Spiderbrace 2 and a Manfrotto tripod. Some of the accesoires like the Spiderbrace and tripod do not have to go in the bag. I am also planning to buy a Rode NT-3 as well as a videolight, and some filters. All of these accesoires need to fit in the bag comfortably. Furthermore, I want a weather-proof bag and am willing to pay for quality.

I have been really satisfied with Lowe Pro bags in the past and hope someone can give me some advice for which I have to look.
I know you said you're willing to pay for quality, well Pots Brace is probably the most high end, professional bag you're going to find. Check this one out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=152798&is=REG

It should be big enough to fit your camera and all your accessories in there. It's not cheap, but its very high quality!
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #17
Major Player

For waterproof, almost unbreakable cases try these two manufacturers :
http://www.stormcase.com/

http://www.pelican.com/
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
I am looking for a nice camera bag / case (I guess I prefer a bag) for my HDR-HC1 with many of the accessoires you are also carrying. I have the HDR-HC1, wide-angle lens, few extra batteries, the cables, a Rode-NTG 2 shotgun microphone, a Spiderbrace 2 and a Manfrotto tripod. Some of the accesoires like the Spiderbrace and tripod do not have to go in the bag. I am also planning to buy a Rode NT-3 as well as a videolight, and some filters. All of these accesoires need to fit in the bag comfortably. Furthermore, I want a weather-proof bag and am willing to pay for quality.

I have been really satisfied with Lowe Pro bags in the past and hope someone can give me some advice for which I have to look.
Hi Floris
I have pretty much the same system as Adam. I have 3 microphones, a matt box with 6 filters, batteries, in another words, lots of stuff. I use the Petrol PWB HDV. I looked at a lot of various manufactures and ultimately settled on Petrol. I feel it is designed and made better than most and best of all cost less than a Porta Brace product. I have a Lowe Pro small back pack that I use when flying and love it dearly. But when I am on the ground traveling by car then I use the Petrol. There is an excellent article on
www.dvuser.com about Petrol bags.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
D Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have just purchased the Petrol PCCB-1N compact camcorder bag for my HVR-A1U after your recommendation. Hoping it is as good as it sounds.

By the way, it is www.dvuser.co.uk. not .com.

The review he is referring to can be found here:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=49
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #20
Major Player

I bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=43432

You can also try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-VIDEO-CAMER...QQcmdZViewItem
and other bags on eBay.

I don't see what the big deal with getting a super quality bag is. It's just a bag. I've had no-name bags for other purposes for years and still using them.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Talk to me in 5-10 years. You'll have gone through at least 2 of them then.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #22
Major Player

We'll see. I'm very gentle on my bags, so my bags last a long time. Like I said, I've used bags for other applications that are actually much more rugged than I would imagine video needs (such as playing paintball, airsoft, camping, etc. where the bags are transported and dragged in rough, rocky, dirty environments all the time) and I've always used the cheaper bags and no big problems.

Also, if in 5-10 years I only go through 2 bags, or even say 5 bags, at $25 a bag, I'd still be saving more money than if I bought a quality $150+ bag.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #23
Major Player

I believe there is no such a thing as a perfect bag. However, I do like a bag that is comfortable to wear (shoulders) and which servers as a good protection of my camera. I have dozens of bags laying around where I can put my equipment in but with the microphones I need a big with compartments, which firmly holds everything at one place. Also when travelling by airplane for example. With Lowe Pro bags for example, I know you can use them for 10 years without any problems. I really hate buying something, then buying something better, ending up with something good. The first purchases for lets say $20 and $40 are $60 in total of a $150 bag. So that would make a $90 difference. But one bad bag which results in damaged equipment and you can pay like $500 in repair costs.

The bottom-line is that I do not care if it is an expensive bag, but if it is a solid bag with compartments, and above all comfortable to carry.

Basically I am looking for two things: one bag like stated above for transportion use in my car to shooting locations, and another one for in the field for walking/biking/hiking/nature documentary etcetera.

I really appreciate the help of the members on this board.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #24
Major Player

The Petrol bag looks excellent but the price is as high as the Lowe Pro and the Pots Brace bags in the same size. The Lowe Pro bags are All-Weather and I am not sure if the Petrol bag has the same All-Weater sleeve.

The Lowe Pro bag I had in mind can be found here:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...ial_AW_DV.aspx

It looks very decent to me. If anyone has other suggestion, please let me know cause I want to make a good decision on this one.

I also looked at the Porta Brace website and they have this wonderful Hiker product line, which are backpacks, which I think is ideal for nature trips. However, I am not sure which product in this product line is adequate for my HDR-HC1 with microphones, tripod, batteries, cables, filters, wide-angle lens and cleaning equipment. Does anyone know this line?

It can be seen at the Porta Brace website:

http://www.portabrace.com/landing_us...p?id=25&sid=22
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #25
Major Player

Another question I have is, when looking for a 82mm UV filter, which filter would I be looking at? Like B+W, Tiffen, Hoya. Of course the filter should not degrade the image quality too much so I guess I am looking at $80 filters?
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Alex, when buying cheaper bags, you have to be gentle. That is why some people prefer to spend more on something that can take more a beating. Sometimes when you are out in the field, you don't have time to be meticulous. I try to take care of my bags as well, but sometimes the filming circumstances don't allow me to.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #27
Major Player

I always make time to take care of my bag and equipment. Even if those situations that seem like you could not take care of the bag, I do. Like I said, even when doing more rigorous activities than filming, my bags still stay in good condition as does my equipment. I really doubt that I'll be changing bags anytime soon or be getting damaged equipment because of buying a cheaper bag. I guess it comes down to how good do you want to feel about your bag and if you're the type who likes to throw his bags around, drag them around, and not take enough time to care for them or not. I treat my bags as if they were the camera (or whatever equipment they hold) themselves. Furthermore, my philosophy is the more expensive the bag, the MORE gently I handle them. I might not care as much tossing around a $25 bag, but tossing around a $150 bag - no. Of course, tossing around bags are just not my philosophy at all, especially if they house expensive equipment.

Last edited by Alex Thames; May 7th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #28
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

How do you think this backpack will suit the HDR-HC1 with Sony Y wideangle and hood attached? Many bags are suited for the Sony PDX-10, which I believe is about the same size as the HDR-HC1/A1 but I am not sure. I do not want a really huge backpack, but a normal sized one like a regular Eastpak bag or something, which will hold all my gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

This is another bag I am looking at. However, the bag I mentioned above does come with the raincover which costs $85 normally, so if the size of the bags is not too different I prefer the one with the raincover.
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Nice setup. Mike Wade says the only thing missing is the Hoodman, but I've spotted a couple more. Firstly (and ideally) the lens hood for the wide-angle should be a 16:9 aspect ratio. Even more important when you've added another three lens elements to the line-up.

Next up is the extender shoe that allows tapes to be changed while the camera's fixed on the tripod (there's a few of these about now) and a levelling bowl tripod would be grand.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Nice setup. Mike Wade says the only thing missing is the Hoodman, but I've spotted a couple more. Firstly (and ideally) the lens hood for the wide-angle should be a 16:9 aspect ratio. Even more important when you've added another three lens elements to the line-up.

Next up is the extender shoe that allows tapes to be changed while the camera's fixed on the tripod (there's a few of these about now) and a levelling bowl tripod would be grand.

tom.
Thanks Tom! I looked into a 16:9 lens hood and the prices for them seemed to be a little more then I wanted to spend. The one on there now costs about $50. If you know of a 16:9 at a similar price, I'd love to know! Also, about the tape adaptor...I wrestled with that for a while. Should I or shouldn't I. I decided to try my shooting without it for now and if changing tapes becomes a pain, I'd buy one but so far it hasn't bothered me. I also sort of ran out of money after all this so if I wanted something, I had to ask if I really "needed" it.

Also, I setup a page with thumbnails of all those pics at:
http://www.adster.net/camera/
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series