Adam's Custom A1U - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 1st, 2006, 06:54 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Adam,

Get the bottom loading tape adapter!
I am a faithful user of it and it is a great piece of equipment!

I posted a thread about it.

I am not in any way affiliated with the maker of it.

At first I didn't really need it and actually don't shoot a whole lot of video that would cause me to have many tape changes. I just figure that I should be prepared when I start shooting more video.

Also, I hate it when I have to take off the Cold shoe adapter, Beachtek DXA-2s, and tripod head adapter just to change a freakin tape! So, this adapter is a blessing.

Check it out here: http://www.dm-accessories.com/HC1-SHIM.php
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Can we get an update, Adam?

Adam,

Now that you've had the equipment for a few weeks I'm sure there are those of us who'd love an update on how it all works together, what you like and what you don't like. I for one am about to pull the trigger (within the next 2 days) on a setup darn near identical to yours (but including the Steadicam Merlin in the mix as well) and am wondering how the wireless xlr adaptor works with the boom if you got the K-Tec one because I'm a bit confused about how well that works having the internal cable running the boom pole along with the wireless XLR adaptor. I'm assuming you would plug the adaptor into the mic itself and leave the cable alone.

I already have the Spiderbrace and while it's not gonna take the place of the Steadicam it sure as heck can replace the tripod in 75% of the situations I'll be using it. It's an awesome little piece of equipment and for the price everyone ought to have it in their arsenal of tools.

Cheers!
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #33
Regular Crew

What is the difference in the G2 500 Series and the one you listed at the beginning of your thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam La Prade
The wireless setup I bought does not provide phantom power to the mic, however the Sennheiser G2 500 series does. Here is a link to their EW100 kit with a 500 XLR adaptor (provides phantom power)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=349264&is=REG

Interesting that you brought that up because I was seriously considering getting one. The problem comes with the A1U's LCD size, 2.7 inches. I've looked at LCD screen hoods and they all seem to be wither a 2.5 inch or a 3 inch, not a 2.7. Also, I use the LCD so much for settings that it would be a pain to take off the LCD hood to use the touchscreen. This is something that I will continue to look into however...possibly build one?
John Dombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #34
Major Player

Adam,

Congrats on the great setup!
What do you think of you're Tripod? Is it very good? Does it pan nice?
Thanks!
~Gabriel~
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I am starting to round up some of Adam's kit for my A1. I am having trouble deciding on which mic to get though. Can someone explain a little about the different Sennheiser capsules? Are the Me62/64/66 the same mic with different parts for different purposes?
I was planning on getting an NTG-2 for an outside shotgun and an ME64 for indoors. Would it be better to just buy the one Sennheiser with a couple different capsules that serve the same purpose as buying both the NTG-2 and the ME64? Or do they? I am confused. I already have an NTG-1 but that is more an away from the camera mic, correct?
Help!
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #36
Regular Crew

From my reply above, I meant to say I already have an NT-3. Do I place that near the subject and still use an on-camera shotgun?
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dombrowski
From my reply above, I meant to say I already have an NT-3. Do I place that near the subject and still use an on-camera shotgun?
Yep that would work well - the NT3 would pick up vocals nicely, and you could use the shotgun at the same time to get another channel of audio recorded. Thats the beauty of the XLR module setup - you can record from 2 different (mono) mics at the same time.

You don't need NTG2 if you've got an NTG1. They're essentially exactly the same mic but the NTG2 has an internal battery so you can power it from internal battery OR phantom power. Both NTG1 and NTG2 are shotgun mics.

ME64 would work better indoors yes. I'm not sure if the Senn capsules are interchangeable - someone else will jump in here on this one...

AT does a nice setup (but more money...) in the 4053a hypercardioid mic and you can buy a cardioid capsule for it (essentially becomes a 4051a) and also an omni capsule (becomes the 4049a).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #38
Major Player

The ME6x Senn. series uses the K6 and related K6 (like K6 Red dot) power capsules, so they're interchangeable. The ME64 is a cardioid, ME66 is shotgun.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series