A1u Cineframe 24. how bad? or how good at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

A1u Cineframe 24. how bad? or how good

specifically... how bad is the motion on Cineframe 24. or, how good is it. Id buy the camera if i knew it could pass with great results. or would i be better just recording interlaced, and converting to 30p by blending the feilds. thank you
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Trustee

There about a 35% resolution loss going to 24P ... there are some earlier posts with res charts showing the effect.

If you want to go to 30P there is a variety of software that will do "smart" deinterlacing that gives a much better result than a simple field-blend: a freeware example is Kurt Prunner's LeakKernelDeint (available here: http://gast3.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/~kp/...akKernelDeint/.

As for how "bad" is the AU1's 24P.....well, personally I think 24P always looks bad - regardless of the camera - and 30P is preferable unless you are truely going to filmout. But of course a lot a people still seem to like the cadence of 24P. So that's a hard question to answer...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Graham. The reason i ask this is because cinframe 24 isnt "true" 24p. they do some wierd pulldown and interlacing to get the effect. so i was wondering, in post, is there any way to undo the pulldown and get the true 24 frames with the footage? because that would be awesome!
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Every time I turn it on!!

I have an HDR-HC1 and have found that to use the "cinema effect", you have to set it every time you turn on the camera. Thats just too fussy for me. I find the 30i output looks great on my large screens since any artifacts are too small to see. Just be sure to output any (standard def) DVDs as "progressive" to avoid the obvious banding you get on even moderate panning, horizontal movement or turning wheels.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

thank you Don. From what i understand. Only the A1 offers Cineframe 24, while the HCR1, HCR3 offer a simple cinema mode. I was speaking mainly about the A1's Cineframe mode. I was wondering what the footage looked like after it has had the cinframe 24 pulldown removed to get true 24p.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Cineform's AspectHD can extract true 24p from cineframe 24 footage.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Major Player

I know, How does the motion look after it has been put through Cineform? has anyone seen footage finished with this process? thank you
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Forrest,

Do a search here at DVI because we've covered this extensively.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series