Matte box question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Matte box question

How important is it to have a matte box for someone focusing on indie magazine style video journalism???

I currently have a TRV950 and will receive my HC1 next week. I already have things like a Rode VideoMic, boom pole, Century Optics W/A lens, single Lowel Tota-lite, etc...

Is a matte box something small enough a self contained vj would use or am I looking at an expense that isn't necessary??? The cost of matte boxes has me scratching my head at their cost in relation to what they actually do - some of them are as much as my video cameras - if not more!!!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated...
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Trustee

I think a matte box is for prevent lens flare. If you are outside you need it and if you are using indoor light you need it. I am not sure if the rubber hood that comes with the HC1 might do the trick.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm trying to determine if the stock lens hood that comes with the HC1 will do - The only challenge is the Century optics w/a lens adapter I have I think is 43mm filter size so in reality, it won't work with the stock hood for the HC1...

Things were more simple shooting with my TRV950, but after viewing some footage shot with the Canon HV10 and SONY HC1, it made my TRV950 seem lacking in the quality department...
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Trustee

I also read something from here:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/back-issues.php

One of the backissues talked about Matte Boxes and how it helps to increase contract for crushing the blacks. If anything, these are nice reads anyways.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

I replaced the stock hood on my HC1's with these and a 49mm adapter. I use 49mm filters if needed and can still use the hood. They are a little deeper than the stock hoods and look better too. I don't use the hood when using a WA lens though so an appropriate matte box may work for your situation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Matte boxes are useful for multiple filters as well as lens flare. Yes, you can get better contrast if shooting from a dark spot.

In a quick fix, you could tape a piece of cardboard to shield indirect, harsh light.
I've done this before while shooting in the OR. Physicians use very intense overhead lighting to both warm the patient and to see finite details. I was getting some flare even with the small hood and quickly cut a piece of card board and a little surgical tape and was back in business.

You can buy french flags attached to adustable gooseneck arms if you're just worried about flare.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series